Want the Mac experience .. what to go for

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by zombierunner, May 28, 2011.

1. zombierunner, May 28, 2011
    Last edited: May 28, 2011

zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

OK so I have an excellent top spec desktop PC .. no issues with that but I want the mac experience mac os x experience to be specific... I want to buy a mac but not sure which one .. desktop or notebook .. macbook pro? mac mini? current models or future models?...

the specs on the machine are not important as I already have an excellent PC that can handle everything .. my usage of the mac would mostly involve mac stuff that you don't get on a pc .. the mac os x obviously .. ilife ... downloading apps from the app store ... fun stuff really but nothing hard core

so what would you suggest .. a notebook or a desktop ? and which model in specific .. i was thinking i should get a notebook since i have a desktop ... but i want to see it on my 27inch screen ... i suppose i can connect the notebook to my screen using mdp to hdmi or dvi whatever ... i'd have to buy keyboard and mouse for the notebook i guess .

anyways enough rambling .. you tell me .. also note i aint a rich noob .. all hard earned money so want something that is value for money

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

If you're just looking for something to get the "Mac experience," then your best bet is simply to browse around on Craigslist and pick up a MacBook that's a few years old.

3. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Perhaps an iPad would be a nice touch. Or check in the refurbish section at the apple store. A lot to choose from:D

4. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

I get the feeling Apple released the Mac mini with people like you in mind. It's a relatively affordable way to get a taste for the Mac, and you can hookup your existing monitor, mouse, keyboard, whatever, to it. Personally, I'd wait until they get the next refresh, as they're pretty underpowered right now… but you did say that doesn't bother you.

Of course, if you specifically want something you can use while mobile, well then you have to get a laptop. But otherwise, the mini is a good inexpensive option.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you already have a desktop, then you are probably better off with a laptop. If you want to save as much as possible, then getting a used MacBook is a good option. For maximum portability, MBA is a great option. Personally, I have an iMac and MBA which I find great.

6. PraisiX-windows macrumors regular

I'm also looking for that "mac experience" OP, that's why I've decided to get a MBA once it refreshes sometime this summer (hopefully), and since you already have a powerhouse you might as well go with a laptop, you should join me, brother.

7. zombierunner thread starter macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

yea i think macbook air is looking like the one to buy .. i will wait for the refresh .. im sure it will be worth it .. as i said im not in a hurry so yea MBA refresh!! come on!!!

8. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

+1

Entry level 11" MBA will be perfect for OP since he already has a powerful desktop.

9. gpat macrumors 6502a

MacBook Air symbolizes everything the Mac is going to be in the near future. Just wait the imminent refresh, then buy a 11" Air.

10. zombierunner thread starter macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

Will I be able to hook up the MBA to my 27 inch LG display ... I am guessing the MBA refresh will have thunderbolt .. will there be a thunderbolt to hdmi cable or something like that?

11. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers