Want Time Capsule but don't need router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by redrt88, Mar 21, 2013.

1. redrt88 macrumors newbie

redrt88

I would like to get a Time Capsule but have no need for a router as my ISP router works great. I like to keep as much Apple as I can as my current USB external drive disappears after a few days and I have to reboot for the iMac to find it again. I am hoping the Time Capsule doesn't disappear.

Is there an Apple wireless external HD that does not have the router function? I certainly couldn't fine one. If not, is there a good third party option?

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

We have 4 Time Caspules in our house... and we do not use any of them as our router (for that we use an Airport Extreme). You can shut off the router function in the TC. To do so, set Network to off. Set mode to "bridge mode". At that point... it is simply a NAS device on your local network.

We do this because we want the Time Capsules to be physically separated from the computers for physical security. We do not want a computer and its associated backup data to be stollen concurrently. We keep the TCs in a remote secure area.

We choose TCs (vs 3rd party NAS devices) for backup of our Macs... because they are the only supported option by Apple... and we do not want our backups to stop if Apple changes something that breaks use with other NAS devices.

/Jim

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The Time Capsule is the only option Apple offers. You can use it with your current router by putting the Time Capsule in bridge mode.

[​IMG]