Want to buy a 3GS-Wait or buy now?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by budselectjr, Oct 6, 2009.

  1. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2009
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #1
    I understand that I would be buying a 3GS pre-installed with 3.1 on it so I am asking should I buy it now or wait for a solution for a jailbreak and unlock?

    From reading I see that people that were on 3.0.1 could upgrade fine to 3.1. Would this be the case again if Apple releases new software? My reasoning is that say 3.2 comes out, I would have 3.1 and wait untill jailbreak software is available for 3.2 I would be fine to finally jailbreak. If that makes sense.
     
  2. drpellypo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2007
    Location:
    Northumberland, UK
    #2
  3. budselectjr thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2009
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #3
    Ok, good news I think. Went and got it today:

    For version it says 3.0.1 (7A400)

    Modem Firmware 04.26.08


    Am I good to go to use PwnageTool 3.1.3?
     
  4. shigs macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2009
    #4
    You should be good to go. If I'm not mistaken you can still jailbreak 3.0.1 using redsn0w (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/126908912/redsn0w-in-june) then if you want you can jailbreak 3.1 with a custom ipsw. A word of caution though, I dont think you can store your ECID SHSH file with cydia anymore so once you go to 3.1 you can not downgrade.
     
  5. budselectjr thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2009
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #5
    Thank you for the quick response. Yeah, I dont plan on upgrading so that shouldn't be a problem.
     
  6. shigs macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2009
    #6
    Not a problem. Just read through the instructions for redsn0w. You'll have to use the 3.0 ipsw file to jailbreak 3.0.1 and not the 3.0.1 ipsw file. There are links floating around for that and I'm pretty sure you can still download it direct from Apple's website.
     
  7. budselectjr thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2009
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #7
    So download the stock 3.0 software and not the 3.0.1 software, make the custom ipsw file with PwnageTool and restore back down to 3.0? Dosent Ultrasnow support 3.0.1?
     
  8. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    #8
    Download stock 3.0 and redsn0w it (3.0 and 3.0.1 are exactly the same for redsn0w). Then download 3.1 and create a custom firmware by using pwnagetool. Then update to 3.1 using the custom firmware.
     
  9. budselectjr thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2009
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #9
    And I will be able to unlock even after the upgrade to 3.1?
     
  10. shigs macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2009
    #10
    When you upgrade to 3.1 you would use a custom ipsw not the one iTunes downloads for you so it will be jailbroken as soon as you upgrade. Check that link I sent you before and click on the pwnage tool on the side for details. That tool is mac only though, if you run windows you'll have to eiher wait until the 12th for that release from ih8sn0w (http://sn0wbreeze.ih8sn0w.com/) or download a custom firmware already made.
     

Share This Page