Want to buy a bacpack for uni

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gadgetgirl85, Sep 3, 2009.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I am wanting to buy a backpack for uni. The requirements for it would be that its fairly large as I want to fit my lunch box in it, my 13" macbook and some textbooks. I have one on wheels but its very heavy and I'd prefer to buy just a normal one without wheels. Will my laptop be ok in just a normal backpack? Any ideas? Also not sure whether to go to a computer shop place or a bag shop to look. Any advice would be appreciated thanks

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you are going to stick your laptop in a normal bag I recommend purchasing a sleeve. Depending on how much padding is in your backpack to begin with, you may want something with additional padding.

3. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

I am only giggling a little at the lunchbox part, but yeah, you absolutely need a sleeve.

I suggest a messenger bag. They are better than some think for laptops/books.

LLBean has some, and I have theirs, but I dont recommend them. get something cooler than 'Bean

4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

5. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I'll second this one. I have one for my Powerbook, and it's very nice. It can hold a 17" with no problem, and has tons of pockets and spaces to hold stuff. They are also very sturdy.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I give it a third.
    My brother got one and got everyone in my family hooked. My girlfriend who is very picky about stuff I gave her one and she loves it. Feels great.

I own a different swiss gear back pack and I will say it is the best one I ever have owned. It handles laptops great but just for a back pack it rocks.

7. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

There is nothing more obnoxious than a rolling backpack with wheels.

Victorinox Swiss Backpacks. Durable enough to last wear and tear of campus life and large enough to fit all you need.

8. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i bought one for high school this year. a swiss gear one. it works wonders tho a different model might have been better. but it does its job better than any of my previous bags.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

+1

There are some backpacks out there with a special laptop compartment with extra padding, but if the one you choose doesn't have that, I strongly recommend a sleeve to give it some extra protection; there's not much padding on regular backpacks.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of STM. I currently have this one (it's not really a backpack though)

10. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

http://www.manhattanportage.com/

Quality, well made bags. I recommend them to everybody looking for a new bag. They have many different types of bags, including laptop bags.

Yes, they are a bit pricey, but you will never need another bag in your life, and in the rare instance that something does break with the bag, it has a lifetime warranty.

11. Bluebox22 macrumors newbie

I was in school a few years ago, and I have a bit of a different recommendation for a laptop bookbag to carry around campus:

Don't get a really expensive, trendy pack (while in college). It's unfortunate, but theft can be pretty common problem on a college campus, and a pricey bag is much more vulnerable than a basic one. You also want to avoid getting a bag that is made just for laptops, because it's much more likely to be stolen than just any old bag.

Your best bet: get a really good laptop sleeve/case, and put that in a regular backpack.

Also btw I'm new here so hi everyone! I'm from the DC area, just replaced my old iMac with a newer one, do some work w/ Adobe, and that's me.
    (don't want to get off topic here, just wanted to introduce myself--now back to the backpack talk :)

12. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

I'm using the Incase Nylon Backpack. It's a dream!

13. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

that seems logical but if she wants to get a good bag, let her get a good one that will serve dual purpose laptop + books.

EDIT: fixed :)

14. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

She, but thats ok :D Yeah, I do want a good quality one that will last

15. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

That is a fantastic backpack. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years, use it every day of the week and it still looks brand new (not from my taking good care of it either). I keep my 15" MBP in the protected section and it it very well protected. Has room for a 500+ page A4 folder and I'm sure if I wanted too, my lunch too.