Want to buy a mac... (First time..."mac-er?")

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rayban, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Rayban macrumors member

Rayban

I've been looking at the Mac Mini and really like it a lot but the outdated hardware has kept me from making the move. Now I'm thinking about just a regular Macbook. I would rather have a Mac Mini because they are cheaper but don't want to wait forever. Need some advice.. wait or just do more research?
    I mainly want it because I'm getting sick of PCs and want to fool around with the Garage Band application. Any advice is greatly appreciated :):cool:

2. miiles macrumors regular

There have been some rumors going around about the Mac Mini being update in the near future, try searching for something along those lines. The MacBooks have also had some rumors circulating that an updating is coming.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Go for a refurb macbook - you're not investing much and if something great comes along in the next year, the MB will still hold a ton of its value. It'll be a great intro to Macs (welcome, by the way!)

4. OscarAlert macrumors newbie

go for the macbook man, i actually recently switched and bought an 2.4 20" imac and to be honest i love it but if it was now i would have spend abit more and bought a macbook pro just because there basically the same machine in a form factor that you can take anywhere man :p

May the power of the mac force be with you haha

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Any of the Core 2 Duo machine will do great with Gargage Band. For around $900-1000 you can buy either a refurbished Macbook or a refurbished iMac via the Apple store. If you don't need the portability of the Macbook, the iMac would provide more raw power. The Macbook RAM and hard drive can be upgraded easily, the iMac RAM is easy to upgrade but upgrading the hard drive requires a bit of skill, and upgrading the RAM or HD in the mini requires some careful work to open the case and get to the components, etc.

6. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I would say just hold out for this media event. Although it will mainly be aimed at iTunes and iPods, there is a possibility of an refresh on the product lines.

Should nothing happen then either, maybe have a look at the refurb store. Some amazing bargains on there

7. Dakotafan macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat...I want to get something nice but not breaking the bank..I have an iphone and think things might be easier to synch up and such - is this wrong to think? I mainly use my pc for music, work, web, etcc...what refurbished site are you talking about?

I saw this one and it's only $100 cheaper

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB402LL/A

8. Rayban thread starter macrumors member

Rayban

That's the refurb store. I've been keeping my eye on it but haven't got anything yet. Last night they had a Mac Mini for $499. Almost bought it but I'm going to wait until after the 9th.

9. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I say wait another 1-2 months, because new Macbooks are also supposedly coming, but if you NEED it, go ahead and get it. My advice as to which to get is: get the Macbook. You will appreciate the extra power and portability, however, only the middle model has a DVD write drive, so maybe go for a refurb Macbook mid range?

10. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Hmm... Lessee... $1099-$899 = $200 when I learnt maths.

That's approaching 20% off (18+% to be exact). You won't find better anywhere.

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The MacBook of course, you'll appreciate more power vs the mini which is strongly rumored to be updated in the not-so-distant future. Also, everything is included, keyboard/mice etc. And the portability is hard to miss.

12. Dakotafan macrumors 6502

learnth maths...lol ok...i thought it was $100

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree with this post, and also with willis. That would be my advice as well. Portability, power, and reasonable price; wait for the updates if you don't need to buy immediately, and then go for a refurb MB (or even MBP). You'll still be able to sell it on, and as a refurb, you'll also have the benefit of Apple's rigorous testing, and a warranty (as well as the possibility to include Applecare for a further two years should you feel you need it).
    Cheers