Want to buy a Mac Pro, but have a couple question...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TJunkers, Aug 27, 2008.

1. TJunkers macrumors 6502a

TJunkers

First off, if I buy only one processor, can I buy a second one later for it. I'd assume they only have two cpu motherboards, but just wanted to make sure before I bought it.

Second, do you think an update is coming out soon as in september 7th or soon as in sometime by the end of the year and do you think itll be worth the wait?

2. kentech macrumors newbie

Nope. They're soldered in, and the 4X has no empty socket waiting. (I had asked the same question in May before springing for an 8X. In hindsight, I have no regrets in getting the 8X, as several important apps take full advantage.)

My opinion is, based on my experience as a consultant and system integrator, is to wait for the second iteratiion of a new model so the bugs are fairly worked out. If a new Mac Pro is intro'd in the fall, and it is substantially based on the current one, it would be a good choice. If its architecture is way different, I'd wait to read the "dirt" on it first.

But you always have the issue: While you were waiting for the "perfect" Mac Pro for you, you coud have been using the current model with great pleasure! It's physically perfected, quiet, stable, easy to work with -- and my 2.8GHz 8X can be overclocked with ZDNet Clock to 3.15GHz with perfect stability. Shows great basic motherboard and support-chip design!

3. m1stake macrumors 68000

Uh, the current mac pro DOES have two sockets regardless of your order (Single vs Dual), but the second heat sink is not included. It is absolutely NOT economical to buy a second processor later.

Nothing will be coming out until at least January with Intel's Core i7.