Want to buy a MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JDee, Apr 9, 2009.

  1. JDee macrumors 6502a

    Aug 31, 2008
    Hey there,

    I already have an iMac and am looking to buy a new MacBook 2.4 ghz.

    I know the new MacBook's were out a few months ago - but I don't want something that will be updated in a few months (I know everything has to get updated sometime, but I don't want it to be too soon if I actually buy one now)

    I am a uni student in the UK.

    my question is:
    I don't have the money JUST yet, although I could get it now - but I'm not in the biggest hurry to get it.
    Should I wait until Snow Leapord or a new MacBook is released, and any idea on when it could be?

  2. js81 macrumors 65816


    Dec 31, 2008
    Simple, really. If you need it, get it. If you can wait, then wait. Of course it would be better to wait on Snow Leopard, but if you need it NOW, the current Macbooks are great machines. :D
  3. svndmvn Guest

    Nov 6, 2007
    It would be a minor bump, in a month or less, I hope. I'd buy as soon as available, not giving a damn about Snow Leopard, since an OS is more stable the more it's been out.
  4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

    Apr 1, 2008
    If you want it, buy it. If you are happy with the specs of the current machine, buy it. The specs will not decline once a new model comes out... ;)
  5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020


    Dec 25, 2008
    if you need something portable - the MacBook is great, i recently recommended that computer to my boss (which he then purchased for his girlfriend).

    great computer, very quick. however if you are just getting it to get it - and you don't need to go a lot of places for work/play - then i'd suggest saving that good amount of money up.

    next year at this time, i'm sure the MacBook will be greater, with a greater OS.

    and not to worry on the stability of Snow Leopard - while that is true to some extent with all OS', it may or may not be true for SL. SL is really more of a tune up and interface change for Leopard. It sounds great though! i am very excited to be a first day adopter. :)
  6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040


    May 27, 2006
    I say this in just about every topic, but you really should avoid the 2.4GHz MacBook. It is overpriced, and even with Higher Education discount it is £167 more expensive than the 2.0GHz model.

    That £167 buys you very, very little. A couple of LEDs beneath the keyboard and a slightly faster processor are the two things you get which you simply can't add to your computer later. The bigger hard drive is an easy upgrade either via the Apple site or yourself using third party components.

    I have the 2.0GHz model and it is more than powerful enough for what I do (web design and iPhone coding, as well as general University work). Consider whether you really need the backlit keyboard and what else you could spend that £167 on. You could get a good backpack for it or an external mouse and keyboard and a monitor instead.

Share This Page