Want to buy a Mini. Will it connect to old stuff?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MikeT125, May 16, 2007.

1. MikeT125 macrumors regular

My Mom's Linux/PC box jus quit and she is looking at getting a mac mini. She has an older VGA monitor and a non-USB (the round connector) on her keyboard and mouse.

Also, my Dad's PC/WinXP computer is connected via an "eithernet" cable (the one that looks like a wider telephone cable) I think that is what it is called... He can print using the printer that is connected to the linux box to a printer with a parallel cable....

What am I looking at if I get a mac mini as far as connections hooking all this up. Everything is all in place now and WAS working until the linux box blew up. Is this all too much trouble or can the mini do it?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The keyboard and mouse won't work, but you can buy adaptors pretty cheaply. The printer should work. The mini certainly has an ethernet port, but the make and model of the printer may make the setup more difficult. Chances are it'll work though, even if you need to use a generic driver.

3. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

By the sounds of it, you just need a couple of PS/2 to USB converters for the keyboard and mouse, which are pretty cheap.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Or, you'll probably be offered a free (with rebate) printer when you buy the mini. I got a nice all-in-one printer when I bought mine.

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

*chuckles to self* I take it that's spelt as you would pronounce it?

I don't remember if the mini includes a DVI->VGA connector - if not then I'm sure you can buy one for hooking up a VGA monitor.

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Everything else should work with a PS/2-USB connector (or just get a USB keyboard/mouse combo for $30) but Macs don't have a parallel port. If your printer doesn't have a USB port you can find a connector - like this or this

It's easy enough to share a printer connected to a Mac. The easiest (not sure if it's the only) way is to install Bonjour for Windows on the PC. Running the printer wizard will find any shared printers on the network.