Want to buy a notebook.. which one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Baumer582, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Baumer582 macrumors member

Hey guys,

Currently own a iMac G5 and love it.. Now I just want something portable.. I don't play any games, but I do a little bit of editing. I'm not the next Coppola, and I don't really plan on becoming him, but I do have access to Final Cut and Photoshop and like to use it every now and then when I mess around with home movies and pics..

Should I get a low end MBP or just go with the regular MacBook? I don't mind waiting for new chip updates if that turns out to be true.. I just want a portable Mac to take to and from work.

Any advice would be appreciated..

2. McGiord, Feb 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

funds based decision

Around $1K go with MB, if you can afford around 2K go with MBP, that could be a major difference if the funding is a constraint.
    ________
    Chrysler Centura history

3. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

For what you need a MB will fit you very nicely. Even the base white model would do fine.

4. Baumer582 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input, guys.

Funds aren't an issue since I know I won't be getting the top of the line model...

I have a feeling the regular MB would be just perfect, but there's this voice in my head that keeps telling me to get the best I can get. I'll probably wait a little while and get the 15' MBP. Hopefully the chips come out soon. Thanks..

5. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

A MB with 4GB RAM sounds like a good option. Of course, go with 3rd party RAM.

6. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

That was pretty much my criteria when I went looking for a new laptop. I finally went for the 'middle' MacBook (2.2GHz) and it's worked out perfectly - I did, though, up the memory to 2GB, which made a noticeable difference.

I do a lot of photo/video editing - like you I'm no Coppola! - and it's ideal, handles everything sweetly, no problems.

The MacBook Pro sounds wonderful, but I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money, I simply didn't/don't need a laptop that powerful.

7. Baumer582 thread starter macrumors member

That's the best answer I can ask for. Thanks!

I'm gonna wait a little bit just in case new chips come out, then I'll make a decision... I just wish the MB's had that backlit keyboard, then I'd be set on what I'd want!