Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senc01a

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2007
I am very hessitant whether to buy ir not an iMac. A 2011model is expected, specially after seeing the new macbooksp with thunderbolt, but because of lion I am afraid that they might not be released until the summer and thats too long to wait.
So, what do you guys think? Should Iwait or should I go? Idont see any convincing rumors or facts that point to an inmediate upgrade.
Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Yorr

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
Holland
This is my second post here on MacRumors, but i am reading this forum for a half year now. I am in the same position as you are. I need a new PC, but the waiting is killing.

The Sandy Bridge CPU's proved that they are fast. Really fast. And i hope that Apple updates the SSD's and give the buyer more options like 80GB, 128GB etc.

I think they release it with Lion.. hoping I'm wrong! ;)

laserbeam273

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Australia
Wait if you can. But obviously if there's some massive financial advantage because you're running a business that really needs one (e.g. graphics designer and you're previous computer got fried) then just buy the current one. You could grab a second hand then sell it when the new ones come out, or right before they come out. Wouldn't lose much money then.

SmokyBarnable

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
iMac, Wait or Buy--does it matter for basic users?

I'm waiting to run out and buy the very next update of the iMac to supplement my MacBook Pro. Question, though: if I'm not a gamer, have no need for high-volume data transfers or cutting-edge graphics capabilities, and use my desktop mainly for writing (MS Office suite) and research/surfing, is there any real reason to wait for the next, marginally faster version of the iMac?

I'm weighing the neatness of getting the very latest version of the iMac, with growing impatience as I work week after week after week on my tiny-screened MacBook as my primary computer (the big screen on the iMac is a big part of the appeal). Thanks for any advice!

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
I'm waiting to run out and buy the very next update of the iMac to supplement my MacBook Pro. Question, though: if I'm not a gamer, have no need for high-volume data transfers or cutting-edge graphics capabilities, and use my desktop mainly for writing (MS Office suite) and research/surfing, is there any real reason to wait for the next, marginally faster version of the iMac?

I'm weighing the neatness of getting the very latest version of the iMac, with growing impatience as I work week after week after week on my tiny-screened MacBook as my primary computer (the big screen on the iMac is a big part of the appeal). Thanks for any advice!

Longevity, you could buy the best and fastest iMac today, and not have to buy another for a few good years. If you can streach the life of your computer out, you will save a lot of money in the long run. Now wether Apple Lust comes into play, thats another deal altogether.

Terrador

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2008
I bought a refurb iMac a couple days ago, knowing full well that new iMacs were coming soon. With the discount I got, and knowing I wouldn't be willing to pay new price anyway, I have no regrets about my decision. #1 I don't care a whole lot about sandy bridge, the i3 I ordered is over 2x faster when it comes to running my normal applications vs my 2008 MacBook pro.

It's about weighing what you think you need and what you really need.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
It's already past the average refresh period for iMacs in the Buyer's Guide. The whole line is being refreshed with Sandy Bridge in anticipation of Lion's release and it's a safe bet that new iMacs will drop soon.

bellman

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
I'm in the same position. But I have to buy an imac this week, i can't wait for many reasons... I really hoped that they would release it this week but it doesn't seem that way:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.