Want to buy iPad - questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Maagus, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Maagus macrumors regular

Hello,

so I decided to buy an iPad. But before I hit the Buy button I have some doubts whether I would really use it. These doubts come from the questions to which I did not find any answers in reviews, user impressions, nor by testing it for a couple of minutes.

So I have 2 questions about the iPad usability.

1. Can the iPad send an e-mail with attachment? Especially in this case: if I download file using for example iCab browser, can I e-mail it or edit it? Or if I copy some text from a website, create a .txt file from it on an iPad, can I then send it by e-mail? Prefferably without jailbreak but if jailbreak is necessary for this feature are the tools needed (iFile, etc. optimized for iPad)?

2. How good is the VNC software? My current situation is that I have one computer with all my data on it - notebook, which I carry around (to work, to clients, to school etc.) and even though I back it up, I still don't feel very comfortable carrying my only computer around. So I was thinking that I would replace it with an iPad. The problem is that for work I often need full OS (but I am not doing any HW or data demanding tasks). So my question if it is possible and comfortable doing this in iPad via VNC connected to my computer at home (internet speed would not be the issue)?

Thanks!

2. ghayenga macrumors regular

1. This will be possible in iOS 4.2, due for release some time in November.

2. VNC works well for me for doing things that do not require a high degree of responsiveness, or control key and click options. For special key and click functionality it will require the paid version of VNC Pro, or another similar program.

3. Maagus thread starter macrumors regular

Great! Thanks. I was wondering, is the remote desktop (no matter what app) comfortable for example for MS office 2007 editing?

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If you use Pages or Docs2Go you can edit those office files directly on the iPad.

5. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

1) Yes you can.
    2) If you are planning to do remote access every once in a while, try free TeamViewer. Otherwise, for me the best solution has been LogMeIn Ignition. It's a paid app but well worth it. There are other plain RDC and VNC solutions but haven't really tried them yet.

6. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Occasionally Logmein can be found for $20 on the App Store. Highly recommended!

7. Maagus thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much for all answers. Ordering iPad today :)

8. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

LogMeIn is great! I got it for $30, it's pricey, but definitely worth it. I was able to remotely connect to my PC at work during a recent Las Vegas trip. Flawless!

9. ShredderClay macrumors newbie

To answer your first question. I have downloaded files using GoodReader (99 cents I think) and emailed the files several times. However that only works for files under 10mg.

10. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

"VNC Viewer" is a hell of a lot cheaper than Logmein and is a universal app, so it works on iPad and iPhone with one payment.

The only downside compared to Logmein is that for remote access, you have to know how to set up port forwarding on your router. Some people consider this to be rocket science. :)

11. Maagus thread starter macrumors regular

Under 10 mb is enough (heck even under 5 mb would be enough), just bought the app, thanks for the suggestion!

12. Maagus thread starter macrumors regular

How is the performance of VNC viewer in for example Word 2007, is it usable for some editing? (I know that there are editing apps for iPad, however sometimes I have to do light work in the Office 07 when I am not at my desk.).

LogMeIn seems to consider the Office 2007 editing (or at least they say that on their website), however still thinking about cheaper solution :)

13. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Word works well. I use it on my Mac Mini which I have set to 1024x768 so that it mimics the iPad's display resolution.

14. Maagus thread starter macrumors regular

Great! Thanks for the info.

15. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Hi Maagus,

Enjoy your new iPad.

Goodreader and iCab are great choices for PDF and enhanced browsing.

I use iSSH for VNC control. It works very well, and I can also SSH into my computer if I want to use the command line.

Even though remote desktop Apps work pretty well, you don't get any of the cool multitouch features native iPad word processors and spreadsheets give you.

I'd consider getting Pages (~USD$9). You could also get one of the other MS Word compatible Apps folks have mentioned.

With the iPad, it is much better to use the cloud to work with documents rather than email or USB cable. DropBox.com works great with the iPad.

You can also use iWork.com, it is free from Apple, and let's you save, share, and collaborate with others in Word, PDF, and Pages format. I use it constantly.