Want to buy iPhone 3Gs this weekend

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by derek1984, Jun 17, 2009.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

Due to personal reasons and schedule, I will have my first opportunity to buy the new iPhone on Saturday or Sunday. I have never purchased an iPhone before. With all of you guys having experience in the past buying iPhones when they first come out, am I going to have a problem find places like the Apple Store or Walmart having them in-stock? Are these things really going to be sold out? If so, how soon might they get more stock of them in? Thanks!

2. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Considering there are 4 retailers selling the iPhone and considering some people chose to preorder and have it shipped to them, I would say you should be able to find one this weekend.

But then again, a lot of people are upgrading from their original iPhones and the 32GB storage is very attractive to people along with video recording.

I got the first iPhone on launch day, walked into an Apple store at 10;00p.m and got it. The iPhone 3G was a different story. I was trying for like 4 days to get one, there were always lines.

3. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Part of last year's problems was the crash of Apple's servers for several hours, so it should go more smoothly this weekend, one would hope.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Why worry about it now? As with any hot item - you go - if it's there you buy. If not..next store. If completely out in your area you ask the stores when their nex shipment is in. MANY of us have preordered. Hopefully - with several BAM stores with the iPhone, there will be enough to go around.

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Try Best Buy. I preordered from them last night. My White 16Gb will be there Friday for me to pick up at 11:00Am. You could schedule your appointment for saturday and they will hold it for you. It requires a deposit of 50$ wihich is converted to a giftcard that is returned to you for purchase. So excited!

Also, I was the 7th person to preorder. Not many people are going the BB route. It may be a great thing to capitalize on for yourself.

6. Zengrok macrumors newbie

I recommend going to the Apple store, they will have quite a bit more stock than the other stores. Just get there early, and plan to possibly be there for a bit.

7. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would have preordered but I couldn't. I need to get on a plan with my girlfriend because she can get a 20% off monthly rate. I am also on a Verizon family plan right now and it's not in my name, so it might get a little tricky...probably better off going into a store. Otherwise, I would have preordered :cool:

8. ryvetted macrumors member

Call in sick, cancel all your plans and go on Friday.

9. sms0217ny macrumors regular

I would say Best Buy as well. Just called a store in my area and they said I could come in on Friday anytime in the afternoon and they should have plenty available.

10. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Haha, I lucked out so awesome for this Friday. My Dad is coming down for Father's day late Thursday night, so I took my first vacation day in 6 months to spend some time with him. Then the new iPhone got a release date. June 19th :cool: Fantastic karma comin' my way. :)

11. David-fr macrumors 6502

I've a samll question if I ordered today from online store will I get it Friday?

12. dabigone macrumors regular

I got my 3G on a Sat...just wake up a bit earlier and get in line but I don't anticipate there being as great a demand, honestly.

13. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My girlfirend currently has Verizon right now, but she is not on my family plan right now. We both need to switch to AT&T. I will be able to get the 20% off discount but the plan has to be in her name. So I have to wait for her and she will be away until Saturday...So I have no choice but to wait! I have gift cards to Apple and Wal Mart, so I would like to purchase from either of those stores.

14. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

In all likelyhood, no, you won't. If you go to Best Buy though, in store, you can still get it Friday.

15. David-fr macrumors 6502

Same here...have to wait for my mom and dad to get back from Europe. I'll just go ahead and order it today, I've all the info I need...I hate second honey moons if the iPhone is out by that time

16. David-fr macrumors 6502

I also see the advanteges of being married, if u guys were u could pick the iPhone in her name...

17. mb2008 macrumors regular

I disagree with most of the above....AT&T ran out of 3Gs last year and took a couple days to get more in. I bought the fourth day at an Apple store (after trying on day 2 and 3) and there were 70 people in line at 7:00 am that day. They came out a 9:30 and said "20 phones and no idea of shipments." By the time I got inside, they had received a shipment of 16g white, and by the time I got to the front at 11:30 they had all three. All of the other stores in D/FW were completely out by that time. I remember they actually had an inventory listing by store on Apple.com and most of the stores ran out every day for two weeks!

I'm not buying until I get the better price, but I would give a 24-hour Wal-Mart a shot. My experience with them when hot items come out is that they are honest about the stock and actually have tried to make it a pleasant experience. Plus they generally let you line up INSIDE.

18. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, no choice. I have to wait for her to come home and that will probably be late Saturday afternoon. I will try the Apple Store first. If no luck, there are about 6 Wal Mart's in my area that I can try. You would think one of those places would still have some in-stock...I hope lol

19. iOrlando macrumors 68000

if you are like me and have a very complicated phone situation...its best to go to AT&T directly. I have heard that sometimes apple will tell you flat out go to att they can help you better with your situation.

20. bigchief macrumors 6502a

I just talked to Best Buy and they said I could preorder the iPhone and be guarenteed a phone. I asked if that meant I would be guarenteed the phone on Friday and they said NO. There is a possibility they will not receive them until Saturday.

I'm just throwing that out there for everyone to think about.

21. ryvetted macrumors member

I love it when things work out like that! Fun times!

22. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Thats not what I was told. I made an appointment time with them for 11:00am Friday morning. However, there were only 6 other reservations made, so they can guarantee it to me.

I know right? I told my dad and he was like "oh thank God! Now I can sleep in Friday morning." :p He's driving 13 hours from Wisconsin on Thursday, arriving at like 3 am Friday morning.