want to buy Mid 2007 Memory

Discussion in 'iMac' started by austin571, Mar 3, 2015.

1. austin571 macrumors regular

I'm a teacher who does not have good computers in the classroom. I even went by the county surplus place and found 2 mid 2007 iMacs that work. Only problem is that they only have 1 gig and I need at least 4 to run our programs. Crucial wants 55, amazon about the same, and ebay not sure that I would be getting the right one. Does anyone know of a place to try? DDR2 PC2-5300
    Thanks

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

iMacs are VERY fussy about RAM. Only install RAM from either Crucial (use their online store) or OWC (www.macsales.com), both are trusted vendors that sell quality RAM.

You may pay a bit more but the difference is well worth it.

3. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Agree. Crucial.com is the place to buy memory that you can trust. I've ordered hundreds of sticks from Crucial and never had a bad one.

Their website is also top notch and will not lead you astray in choosing the correct RAM.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Older iMacs, such as the 2007 model, are not fussy about their memory. As long as at least one stick is PC2-5300, it'll very likely work. You'd want two 2GB sticks that are PC2-5300. They can use one 2GB and one 4GB stick, but the 4GB modules are not worth the price for most uses. You can even mix PC2-5300 and PC2-6400, but you cannot use two PC2-6400 in a 2007 iMac.

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Not true at all, I had a 2.8GHz 24" iMac that I bought new with the original 1GB of RAM. I put in some Kingston RAM and of course it failed, when I put in OWC RAM it worked perfectly.

6. TheMacNinja macrumors newbie

TheMacNinja

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Failed memory does not mean a machine is picky. It means that the memory had a manufacturing defect. I manage fleets of 2007 and 2008 iMacs. They have an extremely diverse assortment of memory, so much that no machine has a matched pair at this point. Most of the memory came out of recycled Dell, HPs, and Lenovos.

8. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I've dealt with OWC for many years and have found them to be excellent suppliers, here's what you need:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac/Intel_Core_2_Duo

The maximum RAM your model can take is 6GB (4+2GB sticks), but it's quite a jump in price compared to just getting the 2 x 2GB RAM upgrade.

9. Alesc macrumors 6502

Alesc

I don't find the Macs to be "VERY fussy" about the RAM: my 2007 iMac accepts every standard PC RAM modules, and that makes sense: the chipset is a standard Intel one.
    And the RAM in the iMacs sold today is also standard PC RAM: the memory controller is not made out from a magic dragon scales: the memory controller is in the i5 or i7 CPU...