Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeadDeak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2015
As title suggests. I want to buy movies on my new macbook, but i don't want to clog the storage and GB with all the movie files/data. is there any way I can send them to the iCloud and not have it sitting on my laptops storage system taking up all that space? I'm wanting to purchase an entire TV series season.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
As title suggests. I want to buy movies on my new macbook, but i don't want to clog the storage and GB with all the movie files/data. is there any way I can send them to the iCloud and not have it sitting on my laptops storage system taking up all that space? I'm wanting to purchase an entire TV series season.
I own 7 full-length movies and two TV series on iTunes (one series includes 16 seasons, so it's quite large). The media itself does not count toward your iCloud storage, but downloading them to your computer will use storage space. I watch them on my iPad Air 2, iPhone 6 and Mac mini. You can always delete them from your devices and they will always remain on your iTunes purchased list.

Reactions: DeadDeak

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I've bought thousands of TV show episodes and several hundred movies on iTunes over the years.

I used to download all of them to hard drives but then I acquired so many drives that I had no place to plug them into. Now I just keep some of my most watched TV series on my drives along with my music and the hundreds of music videos I've also purchased.

I have had one movie in all this time no longer show up in the cloud and it was a $4.99 movie that I've since replaced in another way.

Music, movies and music videos are pulled from the iTunes store all the time but for the most part, they'll likely always be in the cloud for you to use in the future though Apple says there are no guarantees.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
There is no need to upload them anywhere, since purchased movies automatically exist in the cloud just like purchased music. You can stream them without downloading using iTunes or an Apple TV.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I own 7 full-length movies and two TV series on iTunes (one series includes 16 seasons, so it's quite large). The media itself does not count toward your iCloud storage, but downloading them to your computer will use storage space. I watch them on my iPad Air 2, iPhone 6 and Mac mini. You can always delete them from your devices and they will always remain on your iTunes purchased list.
As long as iTunes still holds proper license to the contents, otherwise, it will be removed, forever.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Just a reminder.
If you value the content you purchase, you should always leave a local copy on your computer, of course, no DRM. Otherwise, Apple could remove any content from iTunes cloud without prior notification.
Then, those content you have bought will no longer be accessible through iTunes.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
As long as iTunes still holds proper license to the contents, otherwise, it will be removed, forever.

Just a reminder.
If you value the content you purchase, you should always leave a local copy on your computer, of course, no DRM. Otherwise, Apple could remove any content from iTunes cloud without prior notification.
Then, those content you have bought will no longer be accessible through iTunes.
Apple is not going to do that without reimbursing everyone who bought the content. We purchased the content with the intent to own it, including the ability to watch it at our leisure at any time from now on. We did not purchase it with the knowledge that it is an extended rental period that could be cancelled at any time without notice. I'm almost positive this would hold up in court and I'm sure Apple knows that too.

Can you imagine the class action lawsuit that Apple would have to face if they removed content without reimbursing everyone?

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Apple is not going to do that without reimbursing everyone who bought the content. We purchased the content with the intent to own it, including the ability to watch it at our leisure at any time from now on. We did not purchase it with the knowledge that it is an extended rental period. I'm almost positive this would hold up in court and I'm sure Apple knows that too.
I bet sending a notification email to everyone who purchased certain content to notify that content is about to be removed is just a piece of cake for Apple. However I have something may be used for reference.
For app developer, if they don't renew their account, their app uploaded to the app store will be removed, and no customers could search that app from app store again.
Someone in this forum said some songs and movies added to wishlist was gone, and they could no longer be searched inside iTunes store.
All in all, holding a local copy is Always better than solely putting them to the cloud, which is an important reason I refuse using streaming services, such as this premium Apple music (which is not available in Japan).

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I bet sending a notification email to everyone who purchased certain content to notify that content is about to be removed is just a piece of cake for Apple. However I have something may be used for reference.
For app developer, if they don't renew their account, their app uploaded to the app store will be removed, and no customers could search that app from app store again.
Someone in this forum said some songs and movies added to wishlist was gone, and they could no longer be searched inside iTunes store.
All in all, holding a local copy is Always better than solely putting them to the cloud, which is an important reason I refuse using streaming services, such as this premium Apple music (which is not available in Japan).
Yes, app developers are aware of that going into the agreement. Apps and media in wish lists are not purchased content so there is no need to make it available because no one paid money for it.

It sounds to me like you're making excuses to justify your distrust of cloud services.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Yes, app developers are aware of that going into the agreement. Apps and media in wish lists are not purchased content so there is no need to make it available because no one paid money for it.

It sounds to me like you're making excuses to justify your distrust of cloud services.
No one paid money for it doesn't really mean those contents should be removed unconditionally. I think this should be related to something else, which we may never know.

And talking about excuse, well...:p

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
No one paid money for it doesn't really mean those contents should be removed unconditionally. I think this should be related to something else, which we may never know.

And talking about excuse, well...:p
Well, you can't really expect to dictate what an owner can do with content that you've never purchased. A monetary transaction changes things and brings with it new responsibilities.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
How badly do you NOT want to lose access to purchased content? If it's that badly enough, you may want to make backups locally that YOU control.

I'm too lazy to read itune's ToS, but if there's a clause saying they get to yank content without prior notification (probably similar to apps on the App Store), then you're out of luck. Someone I talked to had to delete the entire series of an HD TV show to free up space on his MacBook (200 GB out of 250 used). He wanted to watch it again later on, and it was no longer available.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
How badly do you NOT want to lose access to purchased content? If it's that badly enough, you may want to make backups locally that YOU control.

I'm too lazy to read itune's ToS, but if there's a clause saying they get to yank content without prior notification (probably similar to apps on the App Store), then you're out of luck. Someone I talked to had to delete the entire series of an HD TV show to free up space on his MacBook (200 GB out of 250 used). He wanted to watch it again later on, and it was no longer available.
This. It is enough for me to never support renting contents but continue buy CD, DVD etc. I have no control of the content at all.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Someone I talked to had to delete the entire series of an HD TV show to free up space on his MacBook (200 GB out of 250 used). He wanted to watch it again later on, and it was no longer available.
Which show was that? Did the person check if the show was set to "hidden" in their account? This can easily happen if you accidentally use "delete" rather than "remove download" in iTunes.

Most reports of missing movies or shows are user errors or glitches. Personally I don't know of a single verified case where movies/shows were permanently removed from users' libraries.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Which show was that? Did the person check if the show was set to "hidden" in their account? This can easily happen if you accidentally use "delete" rather than "remove download" in iTunes.

Most reports of missing movies or shows are user errors or glitches. Personally I don't know of a single verified case where movies/shows were permanently removed from users' libraries.
However there is a chance that show is pulled and thus no longer available.

DarkIcarus

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2016
I am not convinced by the argument that buying digital media is more risky than buying physical media. I have seen this argument time and time again. However, there is never any real tangible evidence to back it up. For a start, its worth considering how physical media has progressed in the past. Floppy disk, VHS, cassette tapes, cartridges, minidisc, etc, all these medias became extinct in an everyday real sense. Yes, people could have kept their collections and continued to use them. But this is only true to certain degree. Since at some point the hardware used to play these medias would fault, get damaged, become unusable, and as time went on would become increasing difficult to fix or replace. So its not as if physical media is a complete fail safe longterm solution. Then there is also the fact that newer, usually better, technology comes out which normally uses different physical media to the past.

As for the argument that iTunes digital movies are less yours, less safe, than Blu Ray movies are for example, I am not convinced by this either. Studios could theoretically lock you out of playing certain films on a Blu Ray player with firmware updates, if its connected to the internet. However unlikely this is or how difficult it would be to implement, there is a chance/possibility that it could be done. Now I can fully see that this is just speculation on my part. However, all I see is speculation from the people claiming the opposite with iTunes movies. I have read countless forum posts and articles with people claiming that iTunes movies could or have disappeared. Now I am not saying these people are wrong or that it couldn’t happen. But there needs to evidence supporting these claims otherwise there is no real substance to them. Yes, I’ve seen many cases where certain digital movies have been taken off digital stores for sale. However, majority of people who previous bought them could still access them through their digital libraries/vaults.

I am not saying that I am absolutely right and that digital media is safer or can’t be taken away. Its possible that studios and providers could remove digital content from our libraries at some point. But up until this time I have not seen compelling evidence that it has been done or been convinced that physical media is the golden safe standard. Also, if one is concerned about their digital media being removed, unlike many other digital providers, at least with iTunes you have the option to download and backup your complete digital library. This is vastly better than what majority of other digital providers offer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.