Want to buy my first iphone. Question about data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dvader123, Aug 12, 2014.

1. dvader123 macrumors regular

Hi. I'm interested in getting my first iphone. I would get a family plan and was wondering what the cheapest plan available is nowadays.

In all honestly, I'm looking for a plan that gives me the cheapest plan that I could get. I do not need unlimited text, talk, or even data. With regard to the last one, I plan to use wifi for all my video and internet usage. I just need the most basic data plan so that I can use it occasionally for maps or whatnots.

Please let me know. I am a Verizon user, and heard they were pretty expensive for iphones.

Thanks!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

There are a lot of different options. Sprint and T-Mobile are pretty inexpensive.

The most important question is this: Which carriers have coverage where you need them?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think your best bet is to do some leg work and visit various carriers. Check out their coverages, services and see which one fits your needs. I don't think asking such an open ended question can really be helpful for you in narrowing down what would work best for you

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

iPhone plans come with data, no way around it. Not sure what kind of phone you came from but I hear T-Mo is the cheapest but coverage can be spotty!

Like the other said the MOST IMPORTANT feature of ANY plan is that you have coverage in the area(s) that you frequent.

5. dvader123 thread starter macrumors regular

If it's all about coverage then most people should be getting Verizon then no?

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Depends on where you live and where you travel. There are a few spots around where I live that Verizon doesn't work well but AT&T does.

7. Grmnracing macrumors regular

Around my local area Verizon is the king of coverage and reliability. But also the most expensive. Do some research. Ask people how their coverage is. What good is a phone without coverage. ESPECIALLY USING GPS. No service means your GPS won't work!

8. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Check coverage maps, deals, and ask around for opinions on all available carriers.

It all depends on where you are and what you want to spend.

AT&T coverage where I'm at is great, and one of the employees hooked me up with the family plan ($160) for unlimited talk/text and 10Gigs of data.

Pretty much every carrier has this offer (mentioned above) but they're all different, so you need to check out what's best for you.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

In Washington DC, there are spots that have zero Verizon coverage in the city but has AT&T coverage.

10. akhilleus macrumors member

I've had AT&T since I've first owned a cell phone over 10 years ago. Never had any complaints about service, dropped calls, etc. That said, it might not be the best in your area, and I don't know that the prices are the best compared to other networks. I am currently on a family plan and both my dad and I have iphones. We share 3GB and do just fine. The whole pricing thing is a bit of a maze to understand, but I believe it's around $50-55 for that data plan for us.

11. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Cricket wireless prepaid offers $110 (tax included) for 5 lines with unlimited talk/text/500mb fast data each.

T-mobile postpaid offers $110 (not including fees) for 5 lines with unlimited talk/text 1gb fast data

These are the cheapest plans currently in the market for the value. You will have to buy your phones outright though

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

The iPhone does have satellite-based GPS so the GPS portion can still work as long as you use a navigation app with offline maps.

13. Grmnracing macrumors regular

Your right. I was thinking more along the lines of maps. Built in app