Want to buy new iMac, but have issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by amdownzintel, Jul 10, 2009.

1. amdownzintel macrumors newbie

So I'm slowly starting to get away from Windows and I would like to have an iMac instead, but I have a few issues with the current models so far.

The one I was looking to buy is the 1799 model. The issue so far that I have is why do they not have a quad core? I would really prefer to have one and no I am not going to buy a mac pro in order to get a quad core. Just unsure why say they can't even put in say a Q6600 or something close to that nature into the iMac. Maybe its just because then there wouldn't be a big reason to buy the mac pro? Too good of a deal? I don't know.

I guess I still have a lot of the PC side in me in that I want lots of hardware. I like to multitask and I really hate slow computers. Probably why I have quad cores in my machines with 4gb's and 6gb's in the other machine.

The screens look amazing on the imac so I'm really glad to see that, no issues there.

The biggest problem I have I guess is just that I want 4gb's of ram in my imac with a dedicated GPU, and a quad core for about 1700 or 1800 dollars. With a regular computer that is VERY easy to do, not so much with an imac.

I have my macbook pro right now and I love it, just I would like to get rid of my gaming machine and go ahead with the mac just I can't verify the purchase yet until those requirements are there.

Curious if anyone knows if prices are going down anytime soon. Any new models coming out with the new operating system? The day that Apple releases the model I want I will buy one that day.

I just personally think Apple needs to raise the bar a little on hardware. Hardware is getting really cheap for windows computers and Apple is still keep there old high prices. I just think some models need to come down about 200 dollars or so and then they would be pretty competitive.

Then again maybe I'm completely wrong and this is the same reason why I love my macbook pro is because they pick out the hardware make sure it works and keep the quality really high.

Seriously I love my macbook Pro 13" truly amazing piece of work here. I really want to get a desktop though, just I can't buy one yet because they just don't look appealing to me at all with the prices and hardware that you get. The laptops though have good pricing and good hardware in them, just looks like the desktops are lacking.

All my complaints for today, Also just joined this forum today, looks really nice and I'm starting to become an Apple guy. Got my new macbook Pro and iPhone 3gs loving both!

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

New iMacs are rumored to come out at the end of this year or the beginning of next year. They will come with Snow Leopard, newer Intel Processors, and maybe a price drop.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you need the power of quad-core? OS X isn't as power hungry as Windows so that's one reason. Next iMacs won't have quad-core either, more likely Arrandales, which are faster.

I would just buy one now, waiting game is endless.