Want to buy new MacBook Pro Retina, but is it better to wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gavin310, Mar 4, 2015.

  1. gavin310 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2012
    #1
    I need to buy a new MacBook, but MacRumors is saying now is not a good time because they're expecting a new one in a few months. From what I understand though, it's mainly the processor that is going to change. The current MacBooks are plenty fast for me, so I am wondering what else people are expecting to change. Do you think the design will be changing? If it's mainly the internal specs that are going to change, I don't mind buying now, but if there's going to be a design change I'd rather wait. I know nobody knows for sure, but I'd appreciate some educated thoughts on this.
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    Apple is waiting on Intel to release the Broadwell chipset, which won't occur until later this summer. The CPU receives a bit of a performance bump with Broadwell, the GPU is reported to be better and you'll get better battery life.

    If you can wait, then wait, if you truly need one now, then buy one now.
     
  3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #3
    Can't see any design change

    Can't see it the rMBP design is less than 3 years old I expect no change until skylake in 2016. I don't even see any internal updates until June.

    Buy a refurbished 2014 and save a load of cash...
     
  4. jonestim macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2015
    #4
    Some MBPs and iMacs are on sale for up to $200 off at Best Buy. Is this any indication that a new release could be soon, or just a normal sale?
     
  5. Mr.C macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2011
    Location:
    London, UK.
    #5
    According to the specs they ship with Mavericks rather then Yosemite which seems a bit odd.
     
  6. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2014
    #6
    I would wait if you can. The trackpad is likely changing according to some patents I've seen.

    If you can wait, wait. I've had mine since late 2013, and it's been the newest model for a long time because i got the 2.6 spec upgrade.

    I know my day will come when it will no longer be the latest and greatest, but it' snice to enjoy hte best there is for as long as possible.

    I'd wait.
     
  7. atechsnob macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2015
    #7
    Buy it now! Otherwise by the time the new models come out there will be rumors of the next intel chip which is a game we never win. Also if you buy it now you have 14 days to return it just in case Apple releases new models next week. If you don't need a new one now you can wait but I just bought a 15 rmbp 750m and couldn't be happier!
     
  8. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2013
    Location:
    New York
    #8
    If you really need a computer now, I say get it now. There's always going to be updates and if you constantly wait for a new one to come out, you'd be without a laptop for a long, long time. I purchased my late-2013 15" rMBP on Christmas Day of 2013 and I don't regret a single thing about it. I'm pretty sure the currently rMBP will serve your needs just the same. In the end, though, it's all up to you, but I say get what you want and if you really need it, there's no point in waiting.
     
  9. nirvanemesis macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2014
    #9
    Like you said, the current MacBooks are already extremely fast for daily use. A redesign is rumored for 2016, so this year's refresh will probably be relatively minor.
     
  10. radioking, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015

    radioking macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2012
    #10
    The 15" MBP's and the 13" 512gb have been at this price for 3-4 weeks now. In fact almost every authorized dealer has had the 15" at $1799/$2249 for almost a month, and the 13" 512gb has been at $1599 for longer than that. Seems like they're trying to get rid of inventory, or Apple may just be getting ready for a price cut.
     
  11. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

    dmccloud

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2009
    Location:
    Anchorage, AK
    #11
    They are shipping with Yosemite, not Mavericks. The packaging even states they come with Yosemite. Had to pick one of the 2.5/16/512GB models for work last weekend.
     
  12. Mr.C macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2011
    Location:
    London, UK.
    #12
    My comment was based upon what it says on the Best Buy web site. If that's the case the web site is obviously wrong. That's why said it seemed odd.
     
  13. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

    dmccloud

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2009
    Location:
    Anchorage, AK
    #13
    Wouldn't be the first time BBY messed up the copy on the website.
     

Share This Page