Want to buy new MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by handsareme, Apr 4, 2012.

1. handsareme macrumors newbie

...and I need your expert advice and opinions.

First, a backstory. I am the proud owner of a functioning 2005 15" PowerBook. That is, it was functioning until yesterday when I bumped it and it fell on its power cord, bending both the cord jack and receptacle on the laptop. The laptop still works, it just won't accept a charge. Taking it to my local Apple dealer to get it fixed would cost upwards of $250+. My wife and I determined that it is time to get a new one. (Score!)

I have read about the possibility of the MBP being updated to become more similar to the MBA, maybe even that happens this month. My concern is that I want the superdrive, as I burn many CDs/DVDs a month and rip CDs into itunes regularly. I am pretty antsy to get "my" laptop back, as without it, I have to use my wife's desktop PC. :eek:

So, what would your advice be and why? Should I wait or pull the trigger? I am looking at getting the 13" with the following specs:

2.4GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x2GB
    750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    Accessory Kit

Thank you!

2. roofz macrumors regular

I mean, seeing as how the 2005 powerbook served your needs this whole time + you want an ODD, I believe you would be fully satisfied with the 2011 mbp.

3. jj48 macrumors regular

Seconded. The current MBP is a great machine and you clearly want that superdrive. You could see if there's a refurb deal on the MBP specs you are looking for (like this one)? Might soften the blow a bit if there's an update in a month or two.

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Agree with ^^^ this. I think going from what you had to the option you presented here would be a fantastic upgrade. No use waiting for the latest and greatest all the time when the current model will do everything you need and then some

5. handsareme thread starter macrumors newbie

I had not thought about the refurbished option and that makes a lot of sense. Has anyone had any experience getting a refurbed Apple product? Pretty trustworthy?

6. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Refurb stuff goes through more rigorous QC than the new stuff. I have a Mac Mini and a ATV2 that I bought from the Apple refurb store both have worked out great.

7. handsareme thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

We've bought several. Except for the fact they come in a plain box, you literally can't tell them from new.

9. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Congratulations, Im envious, I want to buy now too, but I want the latest model, these two desires does not match, making my head spin etc. :D