Want to buy Nintendo Wii...but

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by cujoca, Oct 20, 2007.

1. cujoca macrumors regular

Hey everyone!

Sorry this has nothing to do with the mac, but I was thinking about buying a Nintendo Wii for my brothers for Christmas. I was wondering though, do you think Nintendo is going to come out with a new system (Wii 2?) anytime soon? Or is this still a good time to buy a Nintendo Wii?

Thanks in advance!

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not a Wii 2, but there will be a Wii with DVD playback.

Nintendo already confirmed before the launch of Wii, that a wii+dvd will be out at the end of 2007.

I imagine they are holding it back till christmas or maybe even new year. Zero price cut, but new model.

And if they are adding DVD playback there's a good chance that we may finally get an optical audio output too.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No, there is no new model coming anytime soon. WiiVD is a myth. it's pretty laughable to suggest a new model before the end of this year (or even early next year).

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

There might be an updated Wii with different colors or DVD playback, but no one really knows for sure. And really, it shouldn't matter. There won't be a price drop before the end of this year and I doubt we'll see a new model until demand for the current model drops off.

That shouldn't prevent you from buying a Wii right now. It's a very good time to buy.

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Stores STILL are having trouble keeping Wiis on shelves, so I don't see a new model coming out until at least mid to late 2008 (just as a very small update). Just buy now and be happy.

As for the DVD-capable Wii being a "myth" as some stated earlier: Correct me if i'm wrong, but the Japanese version of the Wii already has this capability, and the feature was just left out for the other markets. I believe i read but i could be wrong...

6. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Isn't that just a software update done over the wii shop?

I don't reckon there will be an update. They still haven't caught up with demand for the current console. Maybe they'll do colours, but that's purely aesthetic.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well at E3 before the wii launched Nintendo did say that Mario Galaxy would be Jan 08 , so I guess your right. ;)

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Okay, we're getting a bit sidetracked though; the OP wasn't really asking about new models, but about a new system. A "Wii 2".

Cujoca, for your question; consoles traditionally have a lifespan of five years. The XBox only lasted four, the PS2 lasted six, but generally most systems last five before a new system is launched.

The Wii has only been out one year, so you've still got four to go :)

9. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

True, but the issue gets muddied as companies release streamlined versions of existing consoles, PS2 slim, xbox 360 extreme, DS Lite, PSP slim. Some of these do add functionality/features, the DS lite has much better quality screens that its predecessor.

If the wii is updates, the core machine will stay the same, it will still play the same games etc.

10. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

The important thing to remember is that the old versions of those consoles are not obsolete AND you have had them for more time than people with those versions.

I think it is kind of funny how people complain about companies releasing frequent updates (i.e. Apple releasing drastic yearly updates to iPods). I guess it just shows how frail the human mind still is.

Anyways, buying a Wii right now is a smart purchase decision, there is seriously very little they could do to the Wii that would make you buy another (for example, a DS Lite was a pretty big upgrade over the old DS simply because its easier to carry around, sexier and has better screens/brightness control).

So yeah my point is, if you want a Wii, go and buy one, it still has at least until 2010 before the next gen starts.

11. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

The Wii is good enough for the majority of people who have bought one, and good enough for 99% of people who will buy one.

I don't think a revised (ie more powerful/more featured) Wii system will come out for at least 3+ years, assuming the 3rd party support is there.
    If you're looking for more features and more power, you have two other choices. ;) (of which I'd put the 360 over the Ps3 but that's just my opinion...best bang for the buck IMO)