Want to buy refurb'ed 8GB iPhone for iPod use only

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maximus96, Sep 27, 2007.

1. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

Hey guys I got two questions

1) what is general consensus on the refurb'ed iphones? I read both good and bad reviews ranging from them being perfect to having a lot of scratches. When you buy a refurb'ed iphone, can you bring it to an apple store to exchage when problems come up?

2) I want to use the iphone w/o the phone part. I have verizon and don't want AT&T because of their coverage and also my 2 yr contract with verizon. I just want to be able to use everything on it including adding new apps w/o the phone features. Most of the guides I read involves using it on tmobile or other networks. Is there a guide for people like me who wants to use all the features except the phone?

thanks much

2. bmustaf macrumors regular

I have a refurbed phone because I took mine in for replacement (it was new, not a refurb). I assume they give out refurbs as replacements.

It looks great, totally brand new.

But I have to ask -- why not buy an iPod touch? It's thinner, it's lighter, because you're not packing GSM chips into it...and then you don't have to hack it/fake activation and deal with that issue.

3. maximus96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maximus96

I do currently have the ipod touch. I bought the 16gb version last sunday and over these past few days I've been trying to figure out whether or not I want to keep to ipod or return and buy a refurb'ed iphone.

With the refurb'ed iphone, it'll be $50 and 8gb less than the ipod. but the iphone has the camera, bluetooth, speaker, volumne buttons, dock, calendar, email, longer lasting battery, possibly better screen, and a bunch of 3rd party apps...

I haven't been able to convince myself whether or not the extra capacity in the ipod is worth the $50 and not having all the extras in the iphone. Plus it looks like they are not making much progress hacking the ipod...I have 30 days to decide so i want to see if there is an easy way to hack the iphone.

4. kunaalarria macrumors member

I was in the same dilemma between the touch and the iphone and i went for iphone. It just made more sense. It works out if you dont need the space and u dont mind the thickness.

5. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Did everyone here use Independence to activate the iPhone?
    Any issues with it? Is youtube working for you?