Want to Buy second hand Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hooch254, Sep 5, 2009.

1. hooch254 macrumors newbie

Hi,

My friend is selling his white macbook and I am debating whether or not it would be worth my while. It is:

2007 apple macbook white 13.3", with a intel duel core processer 100gb harddrive, 2gb ram, intel gma 950 graphics processor, built in isight(webcam), apple remote, original box with all install disks included, dvd/cd reader with cd writer, mini dvi to vga cable, bluetooth. the macbook comes pre-installed with tiger
    the battery however is registering and not recognised, and the latch holding the battery has been removed, so the laptop works perfectly, as long as it is connected to a power source. this can be easily replaced, and once replaced will be like a new laptop.

He said he would sell it to me for £340, I don't know exactly the US dollar equivalent. It sounds good, could any one please give me advice.

Cheers

hooch254

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If it has Applecare, yes. If not, nah.

That's only half the price of the low end unibody macbook w/ uni discount. (about 480 usd)

3. hooch254 thread starter macrumors newbie

So if it didn't, it wouldn't be worth it? Also I'm thinking that if I did buy it, and because im not the original owner, would apple have a problem fixing it if I was to take it instore?

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I personally wouldn't but I mean I havn't seen the condition of the machine etc. If its in pristine condition that could sweeten the deal but the battery situation is off putting since you'll have to spend upwards of 80+ dollars for a new battery and then the clips etc etc.

If it did have Applecare you could take it in and hopefully get it spruced up. You would need to have the original owner call or send apple a letter stating that you are the new buyer. A little hassle but they are quick about it. I've personally never heard anyone get denied Applecare based on the name on file. Infact I believe they may even update it for you at the store.

5. hooch254 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to look over the machine, apart from buttons and ports and screen and camera and drives, what else needs looked at?

Cheers
    hooch254