Want to buy Series 2 but...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dominiongamma, Sep 11, 2016.

1. dominiongamma macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

even though Apple said its shower and pool safe why do I still feel nervous about bringing the watch into water? Am I paranoid or the only one nervous? Maybe it's just the mind set Apple devices can't get wet.

2. iGraham4 macrumors member

I wouldn't be worrying about it. They're heavily marketing it for swimming, they've created 2 new workouts just for swimming and did you see the testing they did over the course of a number of weeks?

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

4. dominiongamma thread starter macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

I did guess it's my mind set lol I'll probably buy it :) soon

5. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I showered with my Apple Watch for over an year, nothing happened

6. dominiongamma thread starter macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

Does soap and shampoo effect the watch?

7. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I've showered and swam with my AW1 for nearly a year without issue. If there is an issue, I'd deal with it through my Apple Care+. If there's a problem after two years...it'll just give me an excuse to upgrade next year.

8. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

Stainless or sport?

9. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Stainless 38mm. I wouldn't hesitate to swim with the new model.

10. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

I just bought the old :) Dirt cheap on Craigslist and I already have a Garmin for running.

11. Luba, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

It's funny how Apple understates the waterproofness, while Apple overstates the battery life of its products. When AW0 first came out bloggers etc. did all kinds of tests including swimming with it. I think Tim Cook said he showers with it. I clean it almost everyday, half the time with a little liquid soap. The coating on the screen is gone probably because I used soap to wash it. In the beginning it used bead water right off the watch face with the coating.

12. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Cool. Yeah, I swim and shower with my first generation Watch, but buyer beware. It's possible I've just been lucky.

13. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

I'm more worried about the leather band than the actual watch under the shower to be honest.

14. Julien, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

15. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Yeah, don't shower with leather. You may want to look at a Hirsch Robby watch band for that kind of thing.

16. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

no, the watch has been covered in soap and shampoo

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

In over 500 times and it keeps mine clean.:D

18. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

The only thing you need to know about electronics and water is what does the manufacturer warranty say about water damage. If it's covered, then it's probably safe. If it doesn't, don't do it. (Apple's watch and phone warranties do NOT cover water damage.)

19. gugy macrumors 68030

I did not buy the AW1 because Apple wasn't endorsing for swimming and a tracker was wasn't available. Now it's a different story. At the keynote they emphasized big time the swimming tracker and all the testing they have done. I would think it's more than safe and now I am jumping on it. Since my main use for the watch is tracking my workouts at the pool I am excite to test it.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'm paranoid too. I went ahead and out the thing on a credit card that will cover accidental damage. Good enough for me.

21. dominiongamma thread starter macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

Found this

Attached Files:

22. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Newbies stop overly worrying and just use the thing. My launch day watch has been exposed 1000's of times (over 500 showers) to all kinds of water and moisture. If you are worried then buy the original since it has a MORE than proven track record of withstanding any water conditions.

23. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

It is only natural to be worried, even more so, after spending a fortune on a gadget ;)

Being nosy, do you get your Apple products from the Lenox Mall location, or Cumberland Mall location?

24. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I have actually bought from all 4 Atlanta stores. I used to go to Perimeter first (top end is such a PIA and missed my iPhone5S or Watch try on or.... appointment) and Lenox next (have been to Mall of Georgia too since I have family in that direction). However I live very near Cumberland Mall (about a mile and in Cumberland) and since it opened have gone there.

Also just add the :apple:Watch is covered under warranty for any water ingress, as was the original. Plus as I stated it is 'bullet proof' when it comes to water protection.

25. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

The warnings and notes of use remind me of automatic car washes. They say "the owner is not responsible for damage that may occur by using this car wash". Fact is, they are responsible if something happens due to equipment. The warning is in hopes that you don't press charges.

Apple may warn you of certain things, but they will most likely repair or replace if you bring it in.

Don't over analyze this post or the water resistance.