Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one to buy?

• Series 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Series 6

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Series 7

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Series 8

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Wait for Fall

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

tsupersonic

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
NY
I’ve never owned an Apple Watch and would like to purchase a used one. I’m looking at buying from either Best Buy open box or Amazon renewed. I want Always on, ECG, so I’m looking at Series 5 and later (no SE models). Ideally would like 3-5 years of updates. I would go for the smaller model 40-41mm.

Which one do you guys recommend? I’m leaning towards Series 7 for the larger display and faster charging. Budget is $250 or less, but also open to Series 5/6

Also, any reason to hold off for the next Series Watch in fall of this year? Is there a redesign expected or just an iterative update of Series 8?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So as far as I can remember, S5 and S6 were basically the same design, and S7 and S8 are basically the same design. So if this pattern continues, S9 should be a design update.

If you want it to last 3-5 years, go for the most recent model that fits your budget. If you wait until the next model is released, it should be easier to find an S7 or perhaps even an S8 within your budget.

Reactions: tsupersonic

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Do not consider the S8 if you're on a budget, I don't think it's worth it at all. I think the model fitting the most with your needs is the S7, as you would have a larger display, software updates for a few years, and fast charging which is quite convenient. I am not based in the US but I'm fairly convinced you can find an aluminium 41mm S7 around this price.

tsupersonic

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
NY
Do not consider the S8 if you're on a budget, I don't think it's worth it at all. I think the model fitting the most with your needs is the S7, as you would have a larger display, software updates for a few years, and fast charging which is quite convenient. I am not based in the US but I'm fairly convinced you can find an aluminium 41mm S7 around this price.
Thanks. Yeah that’s my reasoning too. The Series 7 is a bit more expensive but willing to stretch the budget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.