Want to chang RAM on my 2010 Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by chepetin, May 17, 2016.

1. chepetin macrumors newbie

Want to change the RAM on my Mini but not sure what brands or specs to buy. Any advices??
    It is getting slower when running movies or videos from the web!!

2. jpietrzak8 macrumors 6502a

jpietrzak8

You should be able to use any 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM SO-DIMMs (up to 8 GB per SO-DIMM, for a maximum total of 16 GB). There are lots of different brands to choose from, and folks have various opinions about which ones are better, but I'm not sure you'll really be able to see a significant difference between them. Probably the easiest way to upgrade is to go to sites like Other World Computing or Crucial.com, which select compatible memory modules for you. Some links:

Other World Computing:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_Mac_mini/DDR3

Crucial.com:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compa...ini-(intel-core-2-duo-2*4ghz)-ddr3---mid-2010

3. chepetin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, i see crucial only recommend a maximum of 8 GB RAM and macsales also present an option for 16 GB´s, any reason why so limited in crucial??

4. jpietrzak8 macrumors 6502a

jpietrzak8

Originally, Apple officially offered a maximum of 8 GB of RAM in the 2010 and 2011 Minis, but the hardware does actually support 16 GB. I'm not sure what the exact reason was that Apple didn't initially feel comfortable supporting the larger SO-DIMM size, but at some point, they put out a firmware update for these Minis to support the larger size.

Here's an article with a little more info:

http://blog.macsales.com/16302-some-2010-mac-owners-can-get-more-ram-than-they-thought

I would imagine that Crucial is still using the original specs for the Mini...

5. theatremusician macrumors member

theatremusician

Maybe take the opportunity to do a clean install of OSX or at least repair permissions if you haven't done so lately.

6. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

The max RAM that the 2010 mini can take is 16 GB.

Why do you say you can put more memory in some machines than Apple does?

Apple sets their maximum memory configuration based on the memory modules available at the time of the product's release. Apple does not typically revise this limit as compatible higher density modules become available after the release date. This is a safe policy to follow but it inevitably causes confusion when memory vendors and dealers (and Mactracker) state that a computer will hold more memory than Apple says it will.

source: Mactracker

7. antz359 macrumors newbie

antz359