Want to change URL icon where is it found?

MacBlackBook22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
As my title says I want to change the URL icon to one of my choosing. Where is it found? Candy Bar didn't show it up in its choices. Any idea where it is in the computer so I can hunt it down?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Yes, that's the other one:

Picture 1.jpg

I find that 2 places:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/url.png

and

/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/GenericURLIcon.icns

I guess it's the first one that is used in the Dock, but I'm not 100% sure.

Remember to clear the Dock cache and restart it after changing the picture file...

Edit: Way too slow... ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Interesting ... most of the other dock icons are also replicated there. I wonder what the function of the second repository is? Perhaps to give access those images in other applications? But then, why doesn't dock.app get its copy from there also?

MacBlackBook22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
Yes, that's the other one:

View attachment 80145

I find that 2 places:

and

/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/GenericURLIcon.icns

I guess it's the first one that is used in the Dock, but I'm not 100% sure.

Remember to clear the Dock cache and restart it after changing the picture file...

Edit: Way too slow... ;)
I couldn't get into the core services bundle it wanted to know what application to use to open it and I haven't a clue. But clearing the dock cache did the trick and my new url icon is now the one showing in the dock

Many thanks to all you great experts you are making my transition into Mac a truly enjoyable experience

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I couldn't get into the core services bundle it wanted to know what application to use to open it and I haven't a clue. But clearing the dock cache did the trick and my new url icon is now the one showing in the dock

Many thanks to all you great experts you are making my transition into Mac a truly enjoyable experience
Right click on it and select 'Show Package Contents'

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I couldn't get into the core services bundle it wanted to know what application to use to open it and I haven't a clue.
For a bundle or app, right click or control-click on it, and choose "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu. That will allow you to access everything inside.

Edit: Bah...too slow.

MacBlackBook22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
Nice theme. :)

So which of the two icon locations did you change in the end? I don't think I understood.
I used the:

one and then deleted the dock cache and restarted my computer and the new penguin icon for URL showed up on the dock