Want to checksum a download?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hathornb, Dec 9, 2011.

1. hathornb macrumors member

hathornb

I was going to download a program from somewhere the wasn't the AppStore (iknow, dangerous). It gives me a checksum to reference.... how do I check it? Do I do it before/after it downloads? Is it done on the Terminal? I'm clueless. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where do you get the idea that downloading an app from someplace other than the App Store is dangerous? While there are some untrusted places to download software, there are thousands of reputable, safe places to get apps that are not on the App Store. What app in particular are you talking about?

3. hathornb thread starter macrumors member

hathornb

I'm starting to play SC2 on the ladder and theres some diagnostics software that you can run on your replays to give some empirical data on wins, durations, in-game timings, and APM. Its called SC2Gears. I actually meant that comment to be kind of light hearted humor.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Based on a simple Google search, it appears to be a reputable app with no reports of malware that I can find. I'd say you're fine downloading it from the developer's site, without any need for checksum.

5. hathornb thread starter macrumors member

hathornb

Thanks man. Do you know how to checksum in any case? I think I'd like to know for my own edification.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've never found the need to do it. You might try some Googling.

7. Rowf macrumors regular

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

No, not dangerous. Just normal.

Regarding the checksum verification:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1652

For MD5 checksums, replace "sha1" with "md5".