Want to clean HDD but keep software

Discussion in 'macOS' started by issint, Aug 31, 2009.

1. issint macrumors newbie

Hey I want to clean my mac's harddrive and repartition it for snow leopard however I want to make sure that the software I've bought I can't get once again. I'm using OSX 10.4.11 tiger and basically I want to know if there is a way to uninstall software and use the same keycode again on another computer so I can wipe my HDD for snow leopard.

Thanks
    issint

2. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Just copy and paste everything in your home folder to a hard drive or whatever your using to backup. I only backed up my documents folder, pictures folder, and music folder. Go to your email and look up all the names of the companies that made your software, or their names, and you can find some of your license keys. Grab all your old software boxes and find the keys. Save your safari bookmarks. After you do all this, you should be good to go.

I did an erase and install of snow leopard and I had absolutely no issues when I entered the same exact keys again on the same computers. I entered keys for apps like Senuti, MS Office 08, and PS CS4 and all was well.

this should help too:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhLUcng-kog

3. otis123 macrumors 6502a

4. issint thread starter macrumors newbie

you say for me to check my mail. I don't have an email containing any license keys, I do have all my old boxes however.

5. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Just saying, incase you had any digital downloads. But yea thats good then, you should be fine....I'm saying this from experience, though I'm not familiar with exactly what apps you have, and therefore, I cant guarantee it'll work.

6. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx