Want to extract data from DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by irishgrizzly, May 9, 2010.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I was given a DVD (it's plays in a standard DVD player) but when I open it on my mac it doesn't recognise it as a DVD. Here's a screengrab of the files it has. Is there a way to convert these to mpg or similar? I've tried using Handbreak to no avail.

Attached Files:

2. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

MPEG-2? MPEG-4? Either way, I don't see any video in your screenshot... What plays when you put it in a DVD player?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

[​IMG]

It looks like a VCD, VLC Player can open them via CMD+SHIFT+O.
    [​IMG]

But as Keith already wrote, the actual files seem rather small.

Has MPEG Streamclip worked perhaps?

4. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

It plays ok – just not on my mac – which is odd.

it's small because it's just a series of images with a soundtrack.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Does that also mean VLC Player or MPEG Streamclip did NOT help?

6. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

MPEG Streamclip says no VOB files found and VLC player now crashes – I think the disc may be borked :eek:

7. lancerx78 macrumors newbie

lancerx78

You can also try an application called Gumby to extract the MPEG-1 file from the VCD.

8. manolo86 macrumors newbie

i need to extract data from a DVD is not music is not a movie its a work out!

please what program do i use to extract the data, the image or -i don´t know what it´s called. i have a powerbook and when I insert the DVD, the dvd starts playing. I have downloaded DVD copiers DVD burners but they all ask me WHERE IS THE FILE OR IMAGE THAT YOU WANT TO burn or copy into the blank DVD and I still don´t have it "out of the original DVD" so to speak... How do I extract it?? Thank you

9. noire anqa macrumors regular

As mentioned by earlier posters - yes it's a vcd (video cd). that's different from a dvd in that, well, it comes on a cd rather than a dvd. furthermore, and more to the point, the encoding format is different between the two. the vob error you specify is predictable - .vob's are unique to dvds, .dat's are the vcd equivalent: as such the vob error signifies it will only operate on dvd's.

vlc crashing is not necessarily the fault of the disc, it is very possible the version of vlc you are using has a bug in its vcd decoder.

regardless, the actual files you're looking for, the video containers themselves are the 2 .dat files. the size appears small yes, but for a short montage thats about right.

double clicking the .dat files should cause them to open in vlc, it should play them back just fine. copy them to your desktop first if you're worried about disc errors - if they copy successfully the disc is fine.

lastly, it should be possible to convert the .dat files to a more modern, and simultaneously desirable, format. unfortunately since the format is so archaic i don't have any around to test with but give the following a try:

1) try downloading Perian. it's a plugin that expands the range of formats quicktime player can understand. once you've done that try to open the files in quicktime. if you can play them you should be able to export them from within quicktime.

2) i believe you tried handbrake to little avail, but i imagine you tried to feed handbrake the entire vcd. try feeding it the .dat files alone. i'm not sure if handbrake uses quicktime or vlc for it's decoding (or even both) so make sure you've got the latest version of vlc for all of this.

good luck!

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Does the video DVD show up in Finder's Sidebar? If so, click on it and tell us if it has VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders. If so: How to backup/copy/rip video DVDs to your HDD and transcode them to another format.

11. noire anqa macrumors regular

As i understand it - you have a data dvd, not a music or video dvd. From that you want only to copy the contents of it?

If you want the files contained within it copied to your computer then thats as simple as dragging them onto your desktop.

If you're trying to duplicate the dvd to another dvd disc then follow these instructions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2059

EDIT: if you actually have a video dvd and want to transcode and store the video then spinnerlys guide is very good!