Want to get a new HDD - Seagate or Western Digital?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keithos27, Jun 3, 2010.

1. keithos27 macrumors regular

Hi everyone. My MacBook Pro's 200 GB Hitachi drive (Hitachi HTS722020K9SA00) has reached it's maximum. I'd like to swap it out for a larger disk... preferably a 500 GB 7200 RPM drive. I called a local shop that was highly recommended by the Apple store here in Atlanta and that shop recommended/carried only Seagate or Western Digital. I'm not sure what the model numbers are for the two drives but they quoted me a price of 109 USD.

Of the two drives, which would you recommend and why? The only difference I know of is that Western Digital has a 3 year warranty while the Seagate drive has a 5 year warranty.

Also, do you see any problem/reason why I should not go this route? My MacBook Pro was purchased in 2006 and is way past it's warranty at this point. I have a G-Drive Mini but don't really feel like having an external drive attached every time I use my computer (as my iTunes library is the main reason why I need the space). I'd prefer to have a larger internal disk.

Thanks for all of your help/recommendations!

Sincerely,
    Keith

2. exe163 macrumors regular

I have 4 WD drives in my desktop atm and I can say they run fast and quiet. I had some rapter drives before they performed, too. I have not used Seagate before so I cannot comment on that.

From the stuff I read on the internet, both are very respectable brands. Read some reviews online and pick the faster one is what I would do.

3. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

WD is #1 seller, by far never had any problems with any of their hard drives.

4. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Had a seagate in my aluminum macbook and it worked great, never had any issues. Anyone says that any particular HD loud or vibrates too much is way too picky. Ive owned both seagates and WDs in my years of computers and never had a problem with any of them.