Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2004
France
I want to buy a PC (don't want DIY) for gaming.
I have done my homework and found many gaming rigs for reasonable prices:
-Alienware X51
-Asus M51AC
-Acer Aspire Predator, etc...

I want to buy a PC with a i5 or i7 CPU (3rd or 4th gen) with the option to upgrade the graphics in the future.
So I was thinking on getting something basic, maybe a GT645 or GT620, and then swapping for a GTX760 or better. (is cheaper, and maybe is not needed right now).
I play WOW, Diablo3, LOL mainly, but don't know, maybe Crysis 5 or something intensive in the future...

Are this PC upgradable? is the power supply powerful enough for a bigger GPU?

Any suggestions are welcome

kapolani

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
USA
I want to buy a PC (don't want DIY) for gaming.
I have done my homework and found many gaming rigs for reasonable prices:
-Alienware X51
-Asus M51AC
-Acer Aspire Predator, etc...

I want to buy a PC with a i5 or i7 CPU (3rd or 4th gen) with the option to upgrade the graphics in the future.
So I was thinking on getting something basic, maybe a GT645 or GT620, and then swapping for a GTX760 or better. (is cheaper, and maybe is not needed right now).
I play WOW, Diablo3, LOL mainly, but don't know, maybe Crysis 5 or something intensive in the future...

Are this PC upgradable? is the power supply powerful enough for a bigger GPU?

Any suggestions are welcome

Did you have a particular price range in mind?

Take a look at Digital Storm.

I used to build my own boxes when I was in college.

Now I'm old and don't have time for that stuff.

Digital Storm has varying levels for all price ranges. I spot checked their prices and the difference was pretty negligible compared to DIY'ing.

jlehman

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2013
I'm a long time DIY guy but can understand not wanting to especially when OEMs get stuff so cheap. You can get a decent machine for the same price or cheaper than DIY depending on the hardware and what premiums they put on them.

Out of the PC's you listed the Acer is probably the best. The X51 i think is small form factor so i don't think you can upgrade the Power Supply or that it will have the right cables. I'd stay away from anything too proprietary like that. Power wise the power supplies should be able to handle bigger cards but more than likely it won't have the correct amount of 6 or 8 pin power. Sometimes they only come with 1 PCIe power and that's it. It just depends.

I'd also try to stick with the latest Gen if possible unless the price is alot lower. I feel like you may be disappointed if you go with something low end like GT620. You'll want to go higher if possible 645 or 745 or even higher. Maybe try a 660 or 760?

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2004
France
My budget is 1000eur (France).
I love the alienware, but it's true that is "to" proprietary.
I think the acer is good for the money, but I kind of dislike acer.
I was thinking in getting maybe a dell XPS 8700 desktop, but is incredible how hard is to get info from manufacturers from available PCI slots, and power supply wattage.

boomdog

macrumors regular
My budget is 1000eur (France).
I love the alienware, but it's true that is "to" proprietary.
I think the acer is good for the money, but I kind of dislike acer.
I was thinking in getting maybe a dell XPS 8700 desktop, but is incredible how hard is to get info from manufacturers from available PCI slots, and power supply wattage.

Last time I was on the Dell website they had a live chat feature which allowed you to speak with a sales person and ask questions. Ideal place to get the info. You'll often find that you are more knowledgable than the sales man but he will just ask you to hold, speak to a true techie from Dell and then come back with the answers.

Worth a try.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I'd be careful about buying one with a low spec GPU and upgrading later. The PC you get may not have sufficient cooling and/or a powerful enough PSU to handle a higher end GPU.

With that being said I've seen a few with the GTX 760 in the $1100 to $1200 price range. Not sure how much that will translate to in Euros along with VAT and other premiums for Europe.

These are ASUS and Dell models.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Don't just stick with the name-brands. There are others out there that will basically let you pick your parts (from their list of available parts) and they build it. I suggest you look into these kinds of companies (not sure if the ones Maximum PC reviews will ship to France) as a build like that will leave you open for more upgrade paths later on, including full system board replacement as they use off-the-shelf cases.

I'm not sure how those companies work but one of the benefits of DIY is the part warranties. Where you'd get a 1 year warranty standard with a large company off-the-shelf computer (like the Alienware), many of the components you'd buy for DIY will have 3-5 year warranties (HDD, CPU and higher-end system boards) with some up to lifetime (video cards and memory).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.