Want to get an i5 but afraid...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tekksan, Jan 10, 2010.

1. tekksan macrumors regular

I would like to get an i5 but afraid of all these negative posts. Are the new 27 being shipped nowadays still affected by these screen issues? Any idea of the scope? Don't want to be stuck with a lemon. I know, I know, "you can bring it in for service..." but who wants to deal with doing that 5, 6 7+ times???

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

First off, nobody should be "afraid" of buying anything, that's insane. Secondly, you'll be doing yourself a service if you stop reading these forums, thirdly, it doesn't matter what you read, if a handful of people tell you they are getting good screens, it guarantees nothing for you. Just order one and move on and use the machine for you're buying it for.

3. tekksan thread starter macrumors regular

Does Applecare cover these issues (yellow tinge/flickering)?

4. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Stop agonizing. Make a decission. Yes or no. If you don't like it you can always get it fixed or returned. My friend just bought one and loves it.

5. Yakuza macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

It covers for whatever issue that may come with.

At the time if you don't like for what you have, replace it/money back.

Don't get scared with all the threads. If everybody did, no one would buy anything.

Do what i did, i got fed up with so many threads, some good, some bad always saying the whorst thing's or saying the best things...went to the apple online store and made my order and now i'm waiting for mine to be shipped.

6. tekksan thread starter macrumors regular

Only thing is I plan on buying it from a reseller, not apple directly so I wouldn't be able to return it to the apple store. Sheesh...Don't know what to do ...

7. Yakuza macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

Reseller or Apple Store, you're always able to replace it, perhaps from a reseller it will take a bit longer (i don't know). heck, even from amazon you're able to replace it/return it. So i really don't think that will be an issue

8. unamused macrumors 6502

since the iMacs are not shipping out 100% flawless... i would not recommend buying it from a reseller, even amazon.

You have to remember the shipping costs when returning. Most resellers will not cover the shipping costs back to them if you want to return, even if the product is defective or whatever.

Amazon DOES cover return shipping if its a defect but with high ticket items, they give you next to nothing to cover shipping costs... case in point,

I bought a 50D from them which had a problem... asked for an exchange... they sent me a new one and told me they would cover return shipping costs, only thing was i would have to pay upfront for shipping since it was a high ticket item (1000). So off to the local ups store, i opt for shipping + insurance which would cover the 1000 dollar camera. (amazon said to go for insurance). Anyway, after they received the item, they credited me back the money for shipping... or at least part of it. A whopping 6.50 or so when the shipping costs for me was much closer to 30 dollars.

Now factor in the sheer size of the imac and the additional cost it would be to insure...

you are much better off going through apple until units are coming out flawless for the most part.

9. lexvo macrumors 65816

Some people argue that only some people have problems with their iMacs and problems are normally boosted by internet. I agree to a certain extend with this.

But this time it looks much more widespread. And how to explain the fact that many people have to exchange their machine a few times before they get a good one?

So my take on this: if you need one, buy one and rely on Apple service. But if you have time and don't want to go into the hassle of (possible multiple) exchanges, my advise would be to wait.

10. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I agree. I think for example the hard drive issues with these iMacs might be a situation where the forums/internet exaggerate the problem as people with the program report it, and others don't. Both of mine seemed to have great, quiet hard drives.

However, the yellow screens are very wide spread. I am 2/2 yellow screen.

I'll have another to try on Wednesday.

11. lexvo macrumors 65816

Yes, I think the yellow tinge and the flickering are the most common problems and wide spread.

My i5 has the yellow tinge too. But for the rest it is perfect, so I decided to wait for Apple to sort out the problems. Then I will go for a repair or exchange.

12. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Eventually Apple will sort out the problems that they have been having with the manufacture process and the i5/7. Take you i5/7 back to an Apple store and get a replacement once this has happened.

13. lexvo macrumors 65816

As a new Apple user (have my i5 for 6 weeks now) I feel confident by the messages of trust in Apple service I read from experienced Apple users. Besides that, I have Applecare so things will be solved.

I'm even thinking of getting a repair instead of a replacement, because like I said my i5 is perfect for the rest (quiet HD, no flicker, no problems, works just great).

14. raysfan81 macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

I totally agree

First off I think that the yellowing screen/ flickering issues people have been having should maybe be in your mind once you get one so you can check it out. But, by no means should you be afraid of getting one just because it could be broken. For comparisons sake, (I know this isn't completely related) Just think of the Xbox 360, with all of the problems people had with them people still kept buying them and microsoft did their best trying to fix all of the defective units. I think the new iMacs are along the same lines. People will continue to buy them and Apple will try to fix any problems because their customer support is very good. Of course all of the units are not defective. You getting one comes down to how much you want one and the money you are willing to spend on it.

15. Yakuza macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

at least it's more cool to have a slight yellow tinge, rather than a Red Ring Of Death!!! lololol. just kidding. hey a cousin of mine had that red ring of death, twice or so....guess what!! he bought another one. a special edition all red (resident evil Xbox360, i think) i guess it most be still something to do with the colour red, of the red ring of death.

Don't mind my line of thoughts, just gonna head to bed. =)

Like i said. Just buy it! And enjoy it!

Don't go crazy making a full revision to search for problems that you don't hear/see him, let your eyes/ears be the judge. I know i won't be making those tests, it's completely silly and further more, unneeded.

16. MacMojo1 macrumors member

Can't really say much about all the problems that people are having but I can say I love replying to your post on my i5. It's a wonderful machine.

17. Yakuza macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

Hey now!!! that's no fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

there are people here pulling out hair waiting for to be shipped :p ehehe

18. BATTLE BORN macrumors newbie

I exchange my flickering week 47 i5 today.
    they gave me a new imac with serial of 53, hopefully it'll be better.

the guy next to me was having flickering trouble with his custom configured, week two i7. since he ordered it online, he had to leave it there for them to finish doing tests (the same test I did on the phone with applecare), then come pick it up, and ship it back to apple for repair.

makes me glad I got an off the shelf model from the store. at least I can just swap em out if more trouble comes up.

19. slicecom macrumors 68020

Yep, thats the ONLY reason I got an i5. If the i7 was available in store, I'd own one of those, but I don't want to have to deal with shipping 5 times until i get a good one.

20. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Some of you guys make purchasing decisions in a very strange way. You bought an i5 locally instead of ordering an i7 that has much more power just because you have an idea that you MIGHT have had to exchange it, because you MIGHT have gotten a defective one? Just amazing how powerful the internet is and how it can have a negative influence against ones own personal power.

21. Wang Foolio macrumors regular

I kinda get what you're saying, but if he's someone who doesn't really need the i7 anyway and was on the fence as to whether or not to get an i5 then I really can't fault his logic one bit.

Customized configurations are a much bigger hassle to repair/replace since they aren't kept in stock at the store. If you didn't really need the upgrades anyway, then saving yourself a few hundred bucks and improving your chances of a headache free experience really makes perfect sense.

22. slicecom macrumors 68020

Exactly. I don't want to ever have to deal with the hassle of mailing in my computer for repairs and waiting weeks for it to return when I have 3 Apple stores within 20 minutes of my house.

23. tekksan thread starter macrumors regular

eh...I went ahead and ordered one of off ebay. too good a deal to pass up. $1875 - $150 from bing cashback, plus no tax and free shipping for an i5. We'll see how it goes!

24. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Good luck to you, that's a huge risk to take regardless of the discount. That's a lot of money to spend on Ebay and if you have issues it certainly won't be easy to get an exchange (or even one at all if you bought the only one the seller had) as you would buying directly from Apple or an authorized reseller. Whomever said money talks certainly was right.

25. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

My 27 inch i7 that I got when it first came out has been perfect. No problems. I would say that if you want one then go buy it, you have 14 days to get a full refund....if there is a problem you should see it within 14 days. I have been VERY happy with mine.