Want to get an Imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacNewbie03, Oct 17, 2007.

1. MacNewbie03 macrumors regular

MacNewbie03

I am planning to go to the Apple Store in Columbus next week. (Never been to an Apple store before :eek:) I want to get a 20 inch Imac with 2 gigs of ram and a 500 gig HD. Can the store set me up or will it have to be ordered anyway?

2. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

You can call the store you plan to visit to verify if they do have that specific model in stock.
    I am sure you'll love the store though. I really enjoy going to Apple stores :)

3. Blueprint macrumors member

buy the RAM online and install it yourself, it will save you a fortune!

4. MacNewbie03 thread starter macrumors regular

MacNewbie03

I bought one today, 20 2.4 but only 320 gig drive. They didn't have a 500 in a 20 inch. All I can say is that this thing is SWEEET!!!:D:D

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Amen brother! You got the same system as me and I have to say, it is an amazing computer. This is my first Apple computer, and I can't wait to replace my other Windows PCs.

6. ironsidephoto macrumors member

i have a 24" 500gb and it's awesome. definitely worth the extra bucks for the bigger screen, i guarantee it. a word of wisdom: apple ram will cost you an arm. add on a leg if you want 4 gigs. you can get 2x2gb of ram (that's 4 gigs of awesomeness, mind you) 3rd party for $170. at apple it'd cost you about $800. do the math. apple ram isn't any better.

7. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

I agree mostly, except that I read somewhere on these boards that the RAM installed by Apple has its temperature monitored, but 3rd party RAM does not. This is all second hand information, mind you, so take it with a grain of salt.

I would still buy reputable 3rd party RAM, for the difference in price. Apple recognizes this, too, which is why RAM is the only thing that is easy to upgrade on the iMac, and it is very easy.

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm not so sure that that info is correct.....

but to the OP, congrats on the purchase! :cool: