Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNewbie03

macrumors regular
Original poster
I am planning to go to the Apple Store in Columbus next week. (Never been to an Apple store before :eek:) I want to get a 20 inch Imac with 2 gigs of ram and a 500 gig HD. Can the store set me up or will it have to be ordered anyway?

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
You can call the store you plan to visit to verify if they do have that specific model in stock.
I am sure you'll love the store though. I really enjoy going to Apple stores :)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I bought one today, 20 2.4 but only 320 gig drive. They didn't have a 500 in a 20 inch. All I can say is that this thing is SWEEET!!!:D:D

Amen brother! You got the same system as me and I have to say, it is an amazing computer. This is my first Apple computer, and I can't wait to replace my other Windows PCs.

ironsidephoto

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
i have a 24" 500gb and it's awesome. definitely worth the extra bucks for the bigger screen, i guarantee it. a word of wisdom: apple ram will cost you an arm. add on a leg if you want 4 gigs. you can get 2x2gb of ram (that's 4 gigs of awesomeness, mind you) 3rd party for $170. at apple it'd cost you about $800. do the math. apple ram isn't any better.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
i have a 24" 500gb and it's awesome. definitely worth the extra bucks for the bigger screen, i guarantee it. a word of wisdom: apple ram will cost you an arm. add on a leg if you want 4 gigs. you can get 2x2gb of ram (that's 4 gigs of awesomeness, mind you) 3rd party for $170. at apple it'd cost you about $800. do the math. apple ram isn't any better.
I agree mostly, except that I read somewhere on these boards that the RAM installed by Apple has its temperature monitored, but 3rd party RAM does not. This is all second hand information, mind you, so take it with a grain of salt.

I would still buy reputable 3rd party RAM, for the difference in price. Apple recognizes this, too, which is why RAM is the only thing that is easy to upgrade on the iMac, and it is very easy.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I agree mostly, except that I read somewhere on these boards that the RAM installed by Apple has its temperature monitored, but 3rd party RAM does not. This is all second hand information, mind you, so take it with a grain of salt.

I would still buy reputable 3rd party RAM, for the difference in price. Apple recognizes this, too, which is why RAM is the only thing that is easy to upgrade on the iMac, and it is very easy.

i'm not so sure that that info is correct.....

but to the OP, congrats on the purchase! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.