Want to get an Ipad ( Inexpensive )

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shanti.vt1, Jun 17, 2011.

1. shanti.vt1 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I want to get an ipad for the Family, I don't want to pay 519 for the new Ipad 2. Dont have the cash.

Is it worth buying an older Ipad 1, I think Best Buy has it for 399. Just looking for a 16 Gig.

Or maybe find a used Ipad 1 16 gb.

Any advise.

Thanks
    :confused:

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I have an iPad 1 and it still works fine. I would say that unless you really need cameras on your iPad, you're fine going with the original.

You'll probably have to hunt for one though. If your local Best Buy or AT&T stores don't have them, you can always check ebay.

3. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

4. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Of course you decide how your family's money should be spent, but don't you think the difference between an iPad and an iPad2 is worth delaying the purchase slightly longer to save the $120 difference? If you can afford $350 now how much longer would you have to wait to get the most current version?

5. Dimmick macrumors member

Dimmick

6. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I got my iPad a few weeks ago for $400 (not including tax) at my local Verizon store. 64 GB model. I just called them and asked what they had in stock. It was the last first gen they still had.

Highly recommend you call any and every store (including ATT and Verizon) in your area just to see what the stock is.

7. jonhcox macrumors regular

I'd also completely recommend the Refurb route. I bought my Dad (computer illiterate) a refurb'd 32GB from Apple. The only difference from his refurb and my new one (wife recently acquired it in a "hostile" takeover) was that his box didn't have the image of the iPad on the front, just "iPad". When we unboxed it, it was in PRISTINE condition. No scratches on either the display or the aluminum shell. He in turn got my Mom one and hers arrived the same way. Can't say enough about the refurb's. At the price you can get them at, they are fantastic.

I bought an iPad 2 and my experience has not justified the difference in price (yet). Plus I have light bleed, but I'm waiting a couple more months before I switch or just dealing with it until the iPad 3 hits. If I decide to resell it prior to the announcement I presume I'll need to get it replaced so that it doesn't impact the resale value.

8. shanti.vt1 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Or go Craigslist route, got myself a 32gb for around $300 with warranty until mid-August.

10. FAsnakes macrumors regular

Sounds like you have a couple of problems.. 1. an iPad is not really a community device. 2. You don't have the cash.

you should hold unit you can afford (what luxury device) most meets your needs..

11. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Useless and condescending comment.

OP obviously has the money but wants to be frugal. Nobody buys a computer if its going to interfere with putting food on the table.

Many posters have given great information on how to save a few hundred and get a nearly brand new luxury device.

iPad is certainly a family device as any other computer is, but probably more so due to its portability and sharing capabilities, two player games, etc.

12. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I'll offer an option. I see no interest finincing for 18 months on purchases $500 and up in my best buy ads if you use a best buy credit card. You're still paying the full price, but you have it spread out. I've bought a few things using it, but if you exceed the 18 month mark, you will also pay any interest that would have accumulated during those 18 months. I might use this route for the iPad 3.