Want to get an iphone. I have some questions.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LetsBeHopeful, May 28, 2010.

1. LetsBeHopeful macrumors newbie

I will be getting rid of my internet service but I do need a phone and the iphone happens to have internet access. Before I buy one though I do have some questions.

1. When I was looking at the iphone today I couldn't find a firewall on it. Does the iphone have a firewall? If it doesn't should I get one for it if I can?

2. I would like to do some online purchasing and finances on my iphone. Would it be safe to do so on the iphone? Would anyone be able to get my information since a phone is sending it out?

3. Do I need a computer to set my iphone up? Can it safely be setup and used without connecting it to the computer?

4. Can I set a different ringtone for each person that calls?

5. If you've had the iphone serviced how was your experience? Did they give you an easy time or a hard time?

6. The person who waited on me said that there were a ton of free apps offered by Apple and others. Any good ones you could recommend?

7. Have you had any problems with your iphone? Has it just quit working? Any notorious issues I should be aware of?

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

1. Not necessary. I'll let somebody else fill in the technical details on this one.

2. Yes, it's safe.

3. Your phone can be activated in the store and never see another computer as long as it doesn't have any software issues requiring a restore. However, you will not be able to transfer your own music and pictures onto the phone or back up your information.

4. Yes.

5. Apple Store has always been very accomodating with servicing, repairing and replacing my iPhones as necessary.

6. Lots of threads you can check out for this one.

7. Other than a few hardware problems I've had, my iPhone experience has been great. Notorious problems are only really notorious around places like this where people come to complain about them. The casing cracking around the headphone jack/docking port/silent switch is really not as common as this place makes it seem. I've been through several 3Gs and 3GS' and I haven't experienced it yet.

3. azsprty macrumors 6502

No
    Yes
    Need a computer
    Yes
    Apple is awesome with fixing/exchanging iPhones
    Lots of great apps: facebook, pandora etc
    No problems with my phone, normal or jailbroken

Hope it helps

4. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

1) no, it's a phone, not a computer

2) yes

3) yes, you have to connect to itunes to properly setup the phone, and if you want updates in the OS

4) yes

5) very good

6) facebook, twitter, several banks have ones that let you pay bills and check balances, photoshop mobile, ESPN scorecenter that lets you see scores for just about every major sport, tons of games. when you get it, open up the app store and select "top free apps"

7) no, it works very well and is very user friendly

search the forums here for any and all issues and questions regarding the iPhone experience

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. LetsBeHopeful thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought I might need one since it can use the internet.

I'm now more confused about the needing a computer or not issue. The person who waited on me said they'd activate the iphone at the store, as did lostprophet894. But blancoBronco and azsprty say I need a computer for it.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can activate it at the store and technically you dont really need a computer after that to use the phone.
    But if you want to transfer music, videos, ringtones, create a backup of you phone and many other features you need to plug it into itunes.

8. azsprty macrumors 6502

Exactly. Sorry op didn't mean to confuse you. The statement above is the angle I was taking...do you need a computer no, however music you need a comp, apps and music you can get directly from your phone, even movies

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

And then if anything ever happens to his iPhone, he loses all that music, video, photos….

It’s not a good idea to not have a computer with an iPhone. Think backups. You’ll kick yourself later if you don’t.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Especially if you spent a lot of time putting in contact numbers, taking photos, and if you've purchased music.

11. tuna macrumors 6502

For all practical purposes, yes you need a computer with an iPhone. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You use it to do a lot of essential things, including:
    -updating the iPhone's software
    -backing up the contents of your iPhone so in case it breaks, you can reload all your data onto a new one in minutes
    -loading the music and video that you have on your computer on to your iPhone
    -many more functions, both essential and optional

However, do not be intimidated. All you need to connect your iPhone to the computer is a free copy of Apple's iTunes software, which is very intuitive and easy to use. If you can download and install iTunes, you are 99% of the way there. iTunes helps you through everything else.

12. iPhone3Gusr macrumors member

iPhone3Gusr

It is highly recommended to have a computer that meets the system requirements. Windows XP Sp2 and usb 2.0 with internet on the computer. This way you can sync content to and from the iPhone, create backups, and do troubleshooting for the iPhone if ever needed.

I personally would recommend having this available but is not required as it can be setup at the store like other members have said.

13. tuna macrumors 6502

Come on guys don't lead her wrong. If she's worried about having to use a computer, the iPhone is not for her. She won't be filling up the drive with media, she won't be keeping it updated, she won't be syncing contacts/calendar/email.... there are definitely other phones that would suit this person better.

@OP:

What features are you looking at in a phone and what made you want to get an iPhone? If its web browsing, then do you do web browsing on a computer? Because if so, you know enough about computers to manage iTunes.