Want to get wireless on an Alu iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by VitaminC, Feb 17, 2008.

1. VitaminC macrumors newbie

As some of you might know, I have bought a brand new shiny iMac and I am absolutely loving it. The thing is though, my 5 years old Binatone ADSL 500 does not want to work on the iMac, I dont know why really. It says on the box that its compatible with OSX, but everytime I try to install it on the iMac I get nothing, the program installs fine and tells me to restart and when I do that I still cant connect to the internet. When I check the settings it doesnt even acknowledge that the modem is plugged to it. Very frustrating.

Anyways, now it seems I need an alternative way to connect to the internet, it certainly ain easy for me after splashing all my student loan money on buying the iMac to have the cheek to want something else but I just need to switch windows for most of my tasks which because of the internet connection.

So could you please recommend me a good wireless router that works on a mac?

I am on ADSL and not Cable btw.

Thanks alot :)

2. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

I'm assuming you have contacted your ISP to make sure this is not a simple fix?

3. VitaminC thread starter macrumors newbie

I would contact them if the modem apeared on my mac and then it didnt connect. But I dont see the modem on the list of hardware to begin with..

If that makes any sense at all..

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Is the connection USB or ethernet? If it is ethernet, I wouldn't think you would need any software on your mac?

5. VitaminC thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Good wireless router that works with a Mac? Surely you jest...

AEBS. Or Time Capsule, if that's your thing.

7. VitaminC thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually went to the Apple Shop today to see if I can buy'em but both are way out my limit price wise..

Do all mac users use Apple routers? How about Netgear and Belkin? As I found them a bit cheaper than the apple branded routers.

8. TWEO macrumors member

Have you downloaded the lastest software and firmware for your modem ? If not, I recommend you boot into windows and download the latest software and firmware. You can upgrade the firmware from windows and then boot back into OSX to install the downloaded software.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Those should be fine. I'm just saying; an Airport Extreme Base Station is something you'd want to have as a centerpiece to your dining table, not something relegated to being hidden behind your computer stand.

10. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

yeah you can use any major brand router one thing i have found at least with regular airport and not airport extreme they never worked with linksis routers

11. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

i used a netgear all in one wireless router for a year, and over that time had numerous cut outs, and eventually the router went kaput! I then bought a netgear router and airport extreme base station, and since then it has been running 24/7 without a single problem.

I would recommend an aebs every time

12. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

USB certainly makes things more complicated. If you stick with ethernet, then you wont need any special software.

If you want an inexpensive router, any of the Belkin, D-Link, Netgear, LinkSys, etc routers should work - if you can get an ethernet connection from your DSL modem. Just make sure they have a "web interface" for configuration, and don't require any special software, unless you have access to a Windows PC.

If you want a low cost Apple router, check out E-bay, or look for a refurb Airport express (802.11g), or the Airport Express.

The advantage if the Apple Routers is in ease of configuration. I have used all of the above, except for a Linksys, and never had any problems.

13. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Linksys. Cheap. Reliable. What else could you ask for? I'm not sure if they make the WRT54GL anymore, but I just got the WRT54G for my fiancée from office max and it's perfectly fine. Of course it doesn't take advantage of N but whatever. Won't make much difference at all. In my house I use the WRT54GL with my Alu iMac. It's a great reliable b/g router.

WRT54GL on Newegg $49.99 after $10 Mail-in Rebate and free shipping.