Want to Give Away my iPhone 2g--help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mckandy, Jun 26, 2008.

1. mckandy macrumors member

Okay so I bought iPhone 2G on December 1. I plan on buying the new iPhone 3G on July 11. I want to give my iPhone 2G to my friend who has a contract on t-Mobile. I plan on using ziPhone to unlock, etc. and get my phone to work on her carrier. My question is, will her bill automatically go up if she starts using data i.e. checking email, surfing the web, etc.? Does she have to do anything official with t Mobile to get her new iPhone to work with her plan? I would assume her bill would go up if she's using data but if it's all through an unofficial means how does this exactly work?? She doesn't have a ton of money (which is why I wanted to give her the gift of an iPhone), so I don't want her bill to rise astronomically. So what will happen to her bill/contract when she activates my iPhone on her tMobile plan??

2. tritonj macrumors 6502a

you have to turn on data service, otherwise it doesn't work on the phone, tell her to call T-mobile to set up the data service, then she can put in the sim and it will work

3. Fontenette Yo! macrumors regular

Fontenette Yo!

If she has no current access to data on her plan right now then her bill won't go up because she can't use it, but if she has a data plan of any sort and goes past her limit it will cause her bill to increase depending on the amount of data she uses. Like text message overages.

4. andyhargreaves macrumors regular

She will either need to disable the EDGE data on the iPhone after unlocking it, which stops the data generating a massive bill, or she will need to contact T-Mobile and get an unlimited data package added to her bill. This might be expensive.

I can't see any reason she would need to tell T-Mob that she is using it in iPhone, just that she has decided to use more mobile data.

Andy

5. mckandy thread starter macrumors member

She just has a regular cell phone plan now. With text messages of course but no data.

6. Fontenette Yo! macrumors regular

Fontenette Yo!

Can she use data at all though? I know i can't cause i no longer have my data plan. If i try to it won't allow it.

7. mckandy thread starter macrumors member

She just has a Motorola Razr. So no data just phone + texts.

8. tritonj macrumors 6502a

you can't use what you don't have, so if you don't have a data plan, then you can't use the service, they can't leave the service open and if you use it then charge, it isn't a minibar