Want to give Coding a Blog from Scratch a go, Any Advice or Tuts around?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by SR20DETDOG, May 29, 2011.

1. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

It might seem silly to even bother with something like this considering just how easy is it to sign up to somewhere like Blogspot and begin blogging within minutes, but where's the fun in that? :p

I've got a reasonably good grip of XHTML and CSS, I'm still trying to learn JS and PHP but I can only learn so much through reading and really need a project to put it into practice.

So, as the title says, I'm wondering if anyone knows of some good tutorials for coding blogs or even just has some general advice?

Cheers

2. nonameowns macrumors regular

download wordpress source code and grasp the concept of the code and base off that ;)

3. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Its very simple to code a blog really but it is time consuming. At the heart of it you have basic CRUD operations to database tables with some sort of user interface.

Ruby on Rails and PHP Zend Framework both have tutorials on there sites for creating the foundation of a blog then you will need to work them up and create the interface and styles.

4. SailorTom macrumors regular

I've actually learnt a lot about PHP and JS and CSS for that matter just by self hosting WordPress. Even self hosting I've had to learn everything about configuring MySQL and mail servers, firewall rules etc.

I'd recommend self hosting WordPress and rolling your own theme. You'll get a good grasp on the principles of PHP. WordPress uses a lot of its own custom functions, so you don't interact much with the core of PHP per se, but the same principles apply. I've found that as I've wanted to do more advanced things I've started turning to the core of PHP more now.

The brilliant part of rolling your own theme is you can play with CSS or JS when you're bored of PHP.

5. jtara macrumors 65816

This would be a perfect introductory tutorial for Ruby on Rails. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a book or online resource that uses a blog project as a Rails tutorial.

6. SR20DETDOG thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the help everyone :)

I think I'll check this out first and then try out the other suggestions.

7. digitalField macrumors regular