want to go back to using iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trungthiendo, Jul 26, 2009.

1. trungthiendo macrumors regular

hi guys, i'm new to the forums, posting that is. I have an old iphone. The first generation. I want to go back to using that but don't want to get the data plan. I just like the feel and the ease of use of the iphone. No other phone compares to it in terms of accuracy in touch.

I am on att and am using a lg incite. Is there a way i can make it so the iphone (1st gen) don't access data without my knowledge?

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Yes, go to Settings, General, Network, Cellular Data and change the APN for the network to a non-existent address.

I'm not with AT&T but I read on this forum that they are now computer-analysing all connections to their cellular network, and if someone connects an iPhone, they automatically add a data plan to their account and their bill. So you may want to check that out before you do it. Maybe someone else here can clarify.

3. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

Yea just a warning. This is how people got by on the MMS hack by dialing numbers with their old phones and waiting for the ATT servers to see that they weren't using iPhones anymore. Once you make a handful of calls on your iPhone the computer system will realize what you are using and will switch the phone to an iPhone on your account.

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

3.0 blocks data for non iPhone plans. You won't have to worry about using data at all. I have a GoPhone sim in my 3G phone ruinning 3.0 and if I try and use anything requiring data, I just get a popup stating that I am not subscribed to a data plan.

When I place that sim in my 2G phone running 2.2.1 data works it just deducts money from my GoPhone account.

AT&T won't change your plan so don't worry about it.

5. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

3.0 itself is surely not doing that. Maybe the network settings that got loaded through the iTunes upgrade are different to what they were on 2.2.1. That's the case in the UK with O2. The upgrade to 3.0 sets the data APN to one that only official iPhone contracts can log on to, so if you have the equivalent of GoPhone here, and you want to use data, you have to go into settings and change it back to the APN for the original data server. I'm guessing that you would find the same - i.e. you could get data on your GoPhone 3G on 3.0 if you want.

I only mention this so that the OP does not get the wrong info about what actually enables / stops your phone using data. It is not the firmware version.

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Of course I could get data to work. I even have the link to a page that tells how to get it working on 3.0. But again, 3.0 is the reason that non iPhone sim cards won't have data available without some changes.

7. trungthiendo thread starter macrumors regular

so what's the definitive answer? yes i can use it and disable it but they'll just add a data plan to it later?

8. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

If you don't have a data plan, they won't add one for you. You can also disable data on the iPhone but as I said, if it isn't an official iPhone plan, 3.0 will disable data so there is no chance of data being used.

9. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i always call att and ask them to remove access to data or internet on my plans. and yes you dont tell them you have an iphone. they will do whatever you ask in one minute. thats it..
    if you want to use an iphone without extra data plan you must NOT tell them you are using an iphone.

10. trungthiendo thread starter macrumors regular

ah very good thank you guys. much appreciated

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Also www.unlockit.co.nz

To make sure data is blocked completelly on the iphone, access the site from the safari browser on your iPhone and it will change your APN address to a fake one so you can't access data. You can remove anytime you want.
    Then put her simcard inside the old iphone and you're good.
    No data used unless the iphone is connected on wifi.

12. trungthiendo thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the info,

i ran into some trouble, but its all solved now, the new sim card i had from my lg incite wasn't compatible with the iphone until i jailbroke/unlocked it

so i did that with pwnage tools and then used the lockit link from the above post to lock everything

its working like a charm now. I enjoy txting so much more on this phone then the lg incite along with websurfing on wifi. basically everything is better LOL

thanks again so much for the great help

13. trungthiendo thread starter macrumors regular

very intersting, but how would they know i have an iphone...i bought this at the full price at the apple store activated it at home on my itunes. When i renewed with att i got a new sim card new phone.

all i did was take the new sim, unlocked my old iphone and use it. All that it is is just a phone now, i don't have visual voicemail.

how can they tell i'm using an iphone? by the IMEI number of the phone?

and if so as long as data is disabled from my end i shouldnt' be getting any charges correct?

14. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Yes, the phone tells them it's an iPhone when it connects to the network. I don't know if that's the IMEI or some other identifying code.

You're right, if they do the same as in the other thread and add a "pay per use" data plan, but I don't know if that's what they would always do. I have the feeling some people have had the regular monthly data plan charge added back on to their contract.

15. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yes, Apple will always know what phone you are using with the sim once you do anything such as make a call with that sim.

If you have a AT&T account and a few different phones, you can check this yourself. When I logged in to my AT&T account, it knows if I have switched sims to my red blackberry curve, yes it even knows the color, if I'm using the sim in my 2G iPhone, 3G iPhone or 3GS iPhone, it knows.

16. trungthiendo thread starter macrumors regular

ah okay.

i think i should be safe though, i don't see the E on my 1st generation iphone. and have taken all the steps to disable the data. I'll make sure to always keep an eye out for the 'E' symbol and if i see that i'll call them up to cancel it, since i do own the phone outright and have another that i can use.