Want to go Mac, need decision help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crusher25, Feb 12, 2009.

1. crusher25 macrumors newbie

I really need some good advice. I want to purcahse a Mac, just not sure which route to go. I plan on using it as a church ministry, but also as my personal desktop. I want to make videos, short films, documentaries, and independent films. I am new to any video editing, as my previous experience is with Windows Movie Maker, but I do plan on purchasing Final Cut Express and using iMovie 09 and maybe one day Final Cut Pro. So far the cameras I have decided on purchasing are the Canon HV30, which is HDV, and a Canon HG20. I have talked to some people that have said a G4 Mac with at least a 1.2 ghz would be fine, and of course I have seen some Mac Mini's running these programs too. What kind of Mac to go with? G4, Mac Mini, iMac?

2. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

How much money do you want to spend? Do you already have a monitor, keyboard you could use (given that you would buy a Mini)?

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A G4 isn't a good idea. Just not enough horse power at this point in time.

A mini- no way, this bastard child of Apple hasn't received its child support payments in ages.

An iMac will certainly be up to the tasks. Good deals can be had in the refurb section of their store.

4. crusher25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, i kinda thought if I was going to get a new iMac that i would get the entry level one at 1199. I kind of would like to spend around 2500 at the most for the mac and accessories and one of the cameras, already have one. I do not have a monitor or keyboard. I am open to all suggestions.

5. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

A G4 with 1.2ghz just isn't going to cut it for Final Cut express. It's not going to cut it for a lot of things.

I'd love some more information. Your budget, whether you need portability and possibly some other usages.

6. crusher25 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Just as good as buying new. I don't think you'll get many people saying anything other than refurb is a perfectly acceptable route into Mac.

8. crusher25 thread starter macrumors newbie

I really don't know if I will need portability or not. Some projects will be as simple as putting songs along with pictures or video for small 5 minute videos to play on a projector at church or distribute. Other projects would be like filming documentaries, such as interviews and stuff. I would also like to film a short film or independent film, it doesnt have to be extravagant, but I want to make something look a lot better than home video or soap opera, know what I mean? Other uses I would like to dabble in recording sound for bands and stuff, maybe get Logic.

9. crusher25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does everything come with a refurbished unit as does with a new unit?

10. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

Yes and it also looks like new. All components have been fully tested (brand new ones aren't!).

Only difference is it ships in a different box. I would go with a refurb to save a few bucks!

11. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Everything comes with a refurbished. Go to Apple's site and check them out. I have purchased many refurbs and they are like new...every time!

Only difference is you will get a brown box instead of the fancy retail white or black box.

Sounds like you will be more than happy with an IMac also. Welcome to Apple!

12. fa8362 macrumors 65816

The box is generic brown cardboard. A manual might not be included (they're on Apple's site for free download). Otherwise, they're the same.

13. way77 macrumors newbie

way77

I recently upgraded to a 24" iMac from a G4 and love it. If you plan to do video, you'll appreciate the larger screen size. I'd go for a refurb. or check eBay. I bought a 2.4gig model off of eBay and got a great deal on it. If you go that route, select carefully and buy one still under warranty, i.e. less than a year old, that way you can always extend that by buying the Applecare extended coverage if you so choose. Garageband and imovie HD may be all you need for your projects. You can always get Logic and Final Cut Express later. Good Luck.

14. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

My refurb MBP came in a white cardboard box.

I must be special. :D

15. crusher25 thread starter macrumors newbie

I really do appreciate all the replies. I honestly can say I feel alot better now. Just a couple days ago I was almost swayed to go the pc route and use Vegas because I thought I would have to purchase the iMac to be able to use it properly. From all the help here and other articles I have read, I truly believe Mac is the only way to go and that I dont have to get the most exspensive one. Thank everybody very much. I am pretty sure I should, but wanted to ask opinions, should I definetly go with the AppleCare?

16. crusher25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, meant to say that i thought i would have to buy the 2199 iMac to use it properly.