Want to install 2x Velociraptors for my boot disk..

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UnixMac, Jun 28, 2008.

1. UnixMac macrumors 6502

UnixMac

Ok, my WD Raptor is both getting too small, and too slow (long in the teeth) so I sunk down for 2xVelociraptors to use for my boot in RAID 0..

I know how to add drives and do RAID in terms of adding drives for storage, but how can I migrate my OS X, Applications, and Preferences to a new boot drive, much less a RAID 0?

do I need to first install the disks into my case and format them for RAID 0, then install OS X as a boot disk on them, the lastly copy over my Applications folder, Library and Users folder? or will that wreak havoc on my system? :confused:

thanks for any info!

Sam

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Your first order of business should be figuring out how you are going to mount the drives since they do not have their interface in the same standard location as all other hard drives. It is not as simple as attaching the hard drive to the sled and sliding it into the bay. After you figure that out then figure out how to migrate the data to the RAID 0 array. I would suggest using Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the data to the new array after building it.

3. UnixMac thread starter macrumors 6502

UnixMac

Apparently there is a ADAPTOR that you can use to do it, but it requires getting into the optical drive bay.... I wonder if this is a DYI item? It's never easy, is it! :rolleyes:

4. rhildinger macrumors member

Actually, I have an idea that might work for installing the velociraptor in one of the mac pros hard drive sleds...

Each mac pro hard drive bay has Sata/power combination plug at the back of each bay that actually makes the connection to the drive when you slide it in the bay. Now as many have observed, the location of the plug in the bay and the receptacle on the hard drive don't match up like they do for regular sata hard drives. However, it should be fairly easy to simply unscrew the two screws holding the plug in place in the bay and manually make the connection as the drive is being slid in the bay. You'll have to be careful when removing the drive to manually remove the plug, but at least you should be able to install it.

Anyway, it's worth a shot...

-Robert