Want to Install SSD in 2012 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by umee1989, Jun 14, 2012.

1. umee1989, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

umee1989 macrumors member

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum but i just purchased the macbook listed above and had a few questions:

I want to install SSD, seeing that its a new model any word on which SSD will work or even if we can install SSD to this model? and also any thoughts on replacing optical with the 500gb hard drive i have now? i saw people doing that

any recommendation on SSD if i can install it?

Thanks in advance everyone!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can install a SSD. Any SSD will work, as long as it fits. You'll have to shop around, as prices vary and change fairly often.

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you change your thread title to something more descriptive, like "Want to install SSD in 2012 13" MBP". To do so, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where to edit the thread title.

3. umee1989 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for such a quick response!! and i changed it like you said hopefully i get feedback on recommendations as well! And whats crazy is i contacted a company selling SSD i forget what site but the person said no changing to SSD, the hdd and memory are welded in which i found hard to believe??

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true. The RAM in the new MBP with Retina display is soldered, but not the SSD. For the non-retina models, neither are soldered.

You can also try searching the forum for existing threads on SSD recommendations, as there are dozens.

5. Kraldaar macrumors newbie

I'm also planning to buy the high end 13" and replace the Superdrive with a SSD.
    I suppose it will void the guarantee ?
    And is there anything else I need to know? I've seen some tutorials but just in case...

Umee1989, are you planning to replace de HD or the Superdrive?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Technically, yes, it voids the warranty. However, many just put the Superdrive back in before having service work done, and most have no problems with that.

7. Kraldaar macrumors newbie

8. umee1989 thread starter macrumors member

thats my plan but I'm fairly new so i wanna know how and stuff before i make any attempts from what i read everything should be the same for previous models. i know you will have to buy a caddy which the hd will sit in and place that in the optical and the SSD is a real simple install from what i seen its more difficult to replace optical with HD

9. Kraldaar macrumors newbie

We should wait a little bit until somebody does it and posts it...

It's simple sata right? So the order in wich you have HD and SSD connected doesn't matter I suppose?
    And do you know wich sata it is? I, II, III ?

10. Geo411m macrumors regular

That's exactly what I did and it's great! I put the samsung 830 SSD in it and it's lightning fast.

I spoke to a Genius and they said it does not void the warranty but that the parts you replace are not covered. So if you put a SSD in and computer and your screen stops working, they will fix the screen but if the HD dies they won't cover the that.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is not Apple's official stance, and Geniuses are frequently wrong or uninformed. As I said, you may be able to get away with it, depending on who you talk to. It's important to remember than "Genius" is only their job title, and not necessarily an indication of their knowledge, experience or expertise.

From the Apple Limited Warranty:
    From the AppleCare Protection Plan:

12. Geo411m macrumors regular

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

14. Geo411m macrumors regular

I was referring to the hard drive, not the super drive. I would think removing the super drive would void the warranty.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's exactly what my post that you quoted referred to. Go back and read the thread.

16. Geo411m macrumors regular

You're right, I misread the question. I replaced my HD with a SSD, not the superdrive. Wouldn't the superdrive bay slow down the SSD performance?

17. Kraldaar, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

Kraldaar macrumors newbie

This.

Should I care in which sata connect the SSD/HD ?

EDIT: Found the answer I think.

18. Kraldaar macrumors newbie

Just ordered my Macbook, Crucial M4 256go and OWC data doubler...
    Planning to replace the Superdrive with the original HDD and put the SSD in the main bay.
    I'll keep you guys up with the surgical operation... ;)