Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

equalsabracket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
I'm going to install windows 7 so i can play games. Would it be faster and give better performance for my games if i install home premium rather than ultimate?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Save your money and get Home Premium. You likely won't notice any performance difference but it's unlikely that you would use the features of Ultimate. Also, I suggest the 64-bit version of Windows so it can utilize all your RAM

equalsabracket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Save your money and get Home Premium. You likely won't notice any performance difference but it's unlikely that you would use the features of Ultimate. Also, I suggest the 64-bit version of Windows so it can utilize all your RAM

Ok, thanks for your advice.:)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Home Premium 64 bit should be the answer for most cases.

Note that if you only have 2GB of RAM you are better off with 32 bit version. (or upgrade to 4 GB). Because the 64 bit has to run extra stuff to run 32 bit apps (Windows on Windows) it is more RAM hungry than the regular 32 bit version.

You may also be better off with the 32 bit version if the games you want to run are older.

B

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath

+1. Plan for the future 64bit all the way. Ultimate or Pro only if you plan to use at work and need to join a Windows domain.

Cheers,

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
+1. Plan for the future 64bit all the way. Ultimate or Pro only if you plan to use at work and need to join a Windows domain.
Of if you forsee a need to RDP to your new Windows 7 install ...

There are quite a few reasons for ultimate or pro, but none that have to do with games.

B

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
I went with Home Premium and it's been great. 64-bit install. You always have the option later to upgrade online if you need to.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
What mac do you have? Most of the macs except the pro can't play games well. Even the iMac is pretty weak for gaming for modern games.

I'm going to install windows 7 so i can play games. Would it be faster and give better performance for my games if i install home premium rather than ultimate?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.