Want to jailbreak without Cydia

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by ryan0402, Nov 6, 2010.

1. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

l want to jailbreak my ipod touch 4thgen running 4.2 I do not know if there is a jailbreak system out yet but I can wait. I want to jailbreak just to ssh and nothing else. I want to know what files I would have to install in the custom install screen like on redsnow. Is it even possible please help me out.

2. supermac96, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2010

supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

just get a normal jb with cydia and download the ssh app and dont download anything else if you dont want to.

and you can use greenp0ison

3. ryan0402 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah but the mobile substrate slows down your device and I do not want that

4. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Thats like saying I want to go to Disney World but dont want to go on any rides. Why dont you want Cydia?

5. Shaneuk macrumors regular

Shaneuk

6. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Correct me if I"m wrong (might be a good chance I am) but...

1. Don't you need Cydia to install SSH? (OpenSSH?)

2. Isn't MobileSubstrate a dependency of OpenSSH?

7. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

normal jailbreak with app of your choice
    install your apps
    remove cydia (I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS)

8. JbNoob macrumors newbie

Crazy

The main point of jailbreaking is to download Cydia. Anyway, to download OpenSSH, you need Cydia :(

Hope i helped :eek:

9. Meconio macrumors newbie

Meconio

But what if I only want to have my Iphone or Ipod jailbroken but I won't use Cydia, I mean I only want to enable the backgrounds in home screen, and probably the multitasking.

Do I get some kind of error if I choose not to install Cydia and just Jailbreak the Firmware?
    cause I returned to the dark side mainly because I just don't like and don't use Cydia (and trust me I know how huge of a blasphemy I had just written).

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

I guess what everyone is wondering, why would you not want cydia? Its a free tool to use with many extras that you just cant get without it. On top of all that it doesnt hurt to have it.

11. Meconio macrumors newbie

Meconio

I'm just into get the new things on iOS 4 that apple left out for older devices, I already tried to jailbreak my IPT 2g, and I love it but it was pretty slow, everything seams so slow to me, I thought OK maybe my device doesn't have enough RAM to run Cydia and the iOS new stuff....so my line of thought is maybe if I jailbreak it this time without installing Cydia I get it to run a little smoother.....seriously no point on giving me a lecture about all the goodness of Cydia and how big of a noob I am just by stating that horrible heresy of mine: What if I don't want cydia?

Any comment would be appreciated, before I go for it and risk to resync a lot of music in case I have to do a hard restore with iTunes, If I find out that jailbreak doesn't work without cydia... thanks

12. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

It's slow on my IPT2 as well but on my iphone4 and iPad it runs smooth