want to know how to host webpage on osx leopard server

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by finder39, Sep 24, 2009.

1. finder39 macrumors member

this may have been asked before and im sorry, but i have a server at my house that i use to torrent and with an ftp but i want to start to host a web page off of it. i wrote html before but never knew how nor had the technology to actually post it before. can anyone give or find me a step by step guide on setting up to server to do it, such as folders that go where and such. i know i have to port forward my router for port 80 but other than that i am at a loss. thank you

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Take a look at MAMP for starters. You'll also want to tighten security on the machine like the firewall and turn off unnecessary ports.

If you have a domain name you'll need to have it setup to point to the IP of your home, and for most home users that IP address will change periodically and you'll need to change where it's pointing at from time-to-time. There are some services like DynDNS that help with this, but I don't necessarily recommend them.

3. finder39 thread starter macrumors member

doesn't osx server leopard come with a way to do it on its own?

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

All OS X machines have Apache preinstalled, so yes you can host a web page.
    However, you will need to configure it for your needs. It won't configure itself.

A bit of Googling would do you some good.