Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chepistolas

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Chicago
I want to learn php. What is a book do you guys/girls recommend me reading? I know there is online help but I rather read a book with tutorials.

Thanks. :apple:

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
I'm currently reading Larry Ullman's "PHP for the world wide web". It's a little bit old (2001) but it's all they had at the library. You can find it the latest edition here. It seems to cover all of the bases and I really like the Visual QuickStart Guides way of explanation.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
PHP.net, and especially their browseable and searchable online manual is invaluable... :)

I've made myself a Firefox search engine to that manual, and it is one of my top 5 most used...

Attachments

• phpnet.xml.zip
    995 bytes · Views: 62

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
I think it depends on what your programming background is. If you've studied java or c++ or something similar, then you probably don't need anything more than the references @ php.net.

chepistolas

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Chicago
Thanks, I am kind of hessitant to keeping myself in front of an LCD but I guess it is free. The only coding experience that I have is some C and turbo pascal in high school, and some Java in college. I like coding HTML.XHTML and CSS if that helps. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.