Want to make a Dedicated torrent box with my QS Power Mac G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by trekster, Jan 17, 2009.

1. trekster macrumors member

I was wondering what would be the best way to do it? All the files are going to be saved into a 1tb external harddrive connected via network (AEBS). The QS is going to have a wired connection into the AEBS.

System Specs:
    867MHZ
    1GB RAM
    60GB HD

2. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

That would be for those legal torrents only, Naturally............

3. trekster thread starter macrumors member

Of course. I was wondering if anyone has any input. I'm not breaking any of the rules.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Enable screen sharing/VNC and web adminstration in Transmission. Then just remote into the headless torrent box.

5. trekster thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yep. Enable Screen sharing on your QS and download Chicken of the VNC to control your "legal" torrent server.

Great program. I used it for my ibook converted-to-digital-photo-frame so I could change/add new photos to it while it sat on the mantle.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Save the unfinished files internally, move file to external drive only when completed. Your torrent app can do that.

8. TrapOx macrumors 6502

That machine is overkill for a dedicated torrent box. Even a 300mhz G3 with a SATA PCI card would be more than adequate.

Hard drive speed is far more important for torrents than CPU power or RAM capacity.

You can even have it move completed files to your main computer over the network.

9. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

VNC or Apple Remote Desktop will work. My only advice would be to be sure you need it; keep in mind that that box runs in the 180-360W range. Leaving that thing on 24-7 would be like constantly leaving 3-6 lights on. Not great for your power bill or the environment...

I'd suggest trying to swap it for an ibook or mac mini, they run on much less electricity (G4 ibooks run on 65W max) and would work equally as well for the same purpose. :)

10. TrapOx macrumors 6502

He could run the machine for YEARS paying the electricity bill for it before a Mini would become a value.

11. trekster thread starter macrumors member

Well, the screen option isn't showing up my sharing options. Then again, I'm using 10.3.9. What's the latest OS that I can get for this computer. Also, where would I be able to get it considering i'm going to need a older operating system.

12. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I'd say Tiger is your best bet. You can find retail DVDs for around $50 or less. Disable the Dashboard and delete everything else not needed like iTunes and iCal etc... so all your resources can be used just for the torrent App.

You can also remove your zip drive if it was equipped and add another IDE hard drive in that spot so you can use a total of 5 drives, 6 if you want to replace the optical drive too after you are done installing the OS. PCI SATA card so you can use cheaper higher capacity drives and even do a software RAID with them.

Why not save everything internally and also use your G4 as a whole house media server? Just throwing ideas out there I guess.