Want to make my macbook a desktop!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by babond, Dec 20, 2007.

1. babond macrumors member

So my gf got me an external keyboard and mouse for xmas so i can sit comfortable and keep my laptop on my desk. im now liking the idea of getting a 19-20in external monitor and running this thing like a desktop. my only concern is it will get really hot in clamshell mode. anyone have experience with this? would it be worth investing in a fan to sit my laptop on while i work in clamshell mode?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

In clamshell mode, it really doesn't get too hot...

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

it will be fine.

or do what i do and run a dual screen setup. it's really nice

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

5. babond thread starter macrumors member

nice. i might still get a thing to keep it cool cause im anal when it comes to my cpu :rolleyes:

also would you guys recommend getting a dock station to place the laptop in and all that or do you guys feel it isnt really necessary. and last but not least i need a recommendation on a good monitor in the $300 price range.... around 19-22in (whatever a mb can handle best). thanks!!!!

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

A dock station? Don't waste your money, if its a 'desktop' machine then you won't be removing any cables very often.

I don't know about monitors.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i like the lg 22 inch screen. forget name but im partial to lg

as far as a dock station, i personally wouldnt bother but then again ive never used one

8. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

9. macDonalds macrumors 6502

I've been running mine in clamshell mode for months without any problems. I went with a Dell 22" monitor - great deal.

Desktop and laptop, best of both worlds.

10. jeff3221 macrumors regular

I am in clamshell mode right now and it is not hot at all.

11. dbwie macrumors 6502

making laptop a desktop

I have an Acer 22" display (model AL2216W) connected to my 5-6 year old powerbook G4 with a paltry 16 MB VRAM on the video card. It drives this monitor (at 1680 x 1050, millions colors, 60 Hz) easily, in clamshell or using both the monitor and laptop LCD display in extended desktop mode. Occasionally it runs a bit warm, so I have a targus laptop cooler (powered, with built-in 4 port USB hub) underneath the laptop. Since all my USB peripherals are plugged into the targus device, it acts like a docking station of sorts. The above mentioned monitor is very good, with VGA and DVI input, and can be had for around $180 if you search on dealmac.com