Want to make sure I buy the right RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jlusk99, Apr 27, 2013.

1. jlusk99 macrumors member

I bought a 15 inch classic MBP a few months ago. I had never used a Mac but was tired of crappy quality PCs and the inevitable viruses and slowdowns. I can say that I am thrilled with my decision and don't think I'll ever go back.

I have started doing a lot of Handbrake encoding as I try to build my digital media library and have been playing a lot of flash-heavy games and noticed some lags on switching windows and beach balls here and there. Even got a situation where the mac froze entirely (was able to move pointer but nothing would click). I think the main problem is I need more RAM as I have page outs and swaps around 2GB from just a day's use.

Anyway, I want to be absolutely sure I buy the exact right type of RAM. I have the mid 2012 2.3GHz 15inch MBP with 4GB of 1600Ghz DDR3 RAM.

I thought I might as well go ahead and get the 16GB for a few dollars more even if I dont truly need it -- it can't hurt.

I am looking at Crucial: Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Memory Modules For Mac CT2C8G3S160BM

Is this the right kind? I'm pretty sure it is, but on one of the Macrumors guides it says you shouldn't use CL11 Ram on 2011-2013 Ivy Bridge mbps. It's so confusing! I would like to get one of the generally accepted brands like Crucial and would prefer to buy from Amazon as I am a Prime member. Price isn't a big concern as long as it's under $150.

Would appreciate your recommendations.

2. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

I just got this kit from Crucial:
    16GB kit for 2012 15" MBP
    It shows up on the packing slip as part number CT3373650.
    The listing also shows "material" as CT2K8G3S160BM.000, and in "description" it reads as "kit of 2 CT8G3S160BM.M16FJD"

Installed in the laptop, it reads as 1600MHz, 2x8GB.

3. jlusk99 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks wonderspark. Yes I believe that's the same one I was looking at on Amazon. Don't know why the same item has so many different part numbers.

I will order today and hopefully by Tuesday will cut down on the lags and beachball action, unless someone else chimes in and says this is wrong.

Incidentally I also have noticed slightly better performance switching from Firefox to Chrome.

4. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

I'll add that I've installed this same kit into both of my MacBook Pros:
    - 2012 13" 2.5GHz i5 (base model)
    - 2012 15" 2.3GHz i7 w/anti-glare hi-res (otherwise base model)

I've used the 13" to edit a couple video projects using Adobe Premiere, After Effects and Lightroom 4, and it was brilliant with the 16GB and a Crucial M4 SSD.

I've only *just* finished putting the new 15" together with dual SSDs, this 16GB RAM kit, and the same Adobe CS6/LR4 suite, so I haven't actually used it to edit with, yet.

The link I gave you shows "guaranteed-compatible" blah, blah, blah with the 2012 MacBook Pro 13 and 15 inch models, so I'm using it as I mentioned. The spec you typed had a 'C' instead of a 'K' in the number, and I'm not sure what that's about. I *did* order both my kits direct from Crucial's website. It's $125.99.

----------

Found this letter to Crucial asking about this exact difference in part numbers.

Looks like you're good to go!

5. jlusk99 thread starter macrumors member

One other related question--

I've watched several of the online installation videos on youtube and its looks like changing out RAM is a quite easy process. From what I understand you need a size "00" Phillips head screwdriver to get the unibody apart. Can you buy something like that at Lowe's/HD or a hardware store, or should I order something off of Amazon now also? Was thinking about getting one of those small kits that also come with the torx(?) tool and the "spudger" if I ever end up putting in an SSD down the road. I would really like a 1TB SSD and wonder if in a year or so they'll be in the affordable range.

6. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

You can buy a 00 screwdriver anywhere really. But it might be easier to just get it off Amazon? And cheaper. Up to you.

As for the 1TB ssd's, there's a Crucial M500 coming out that's 1TB range and it's going to be $600. That's like half the price of the current 1TB drives. They won't be any cheaper for at least a while.

By the way, you won't need a spudger to replace the SSD, it's just two small screws and it pops out. Don't think you need torn either.

7. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

You do need a T6 Torx to remove the four pins on the side of the hard drive. You swap them onto the new HDD/SSD, and it rests back in the original HDD space.
    iFixit guide

8. kant macrumors 6502

Ah. Thank you. I was wondering why Crucial was showing me the CT3373650 number when their support page shows a chart with the CT2K8G3S160BM that B&H wants to sell me. For $25 less than Crucial's price.

Now I just need to find out if there is really that much difference between CL9 and CL11 when it's 16gb.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

So long as you don't buy into the whole "Mac Compatible" thing. It's nothing more than a marketing gimmick meant to rob you of an extra 10-20 bucks.à

RAM is RAM, buy anything with the correct specs from a reputable company and it'll work.