Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
For those of you that use iCloud email or have moved from Gmail to iCloud what’s your experience?

Since there’s no push notifications in the native mail app I’m seriously thinking on switching from Gmail to iCloud. I have a .me address.

I’ve tried the Gmail app and don’t like it. Also tried other apps like Spark and others and don’t like them. I really like the seamless of the native app but I want push notifications.

This would be for personal email which wouldn’t be too hard to change. Also all my apps sign ins are gmail but I’ll change then 1 at a time.

Thanks!

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Changing email addresses sucks. Make sure that whatever you change to is an address that you are happy with and will want to keep for years. There is *so* much tied to your email address and getting everything changed will probably take months. Or even years.

I changed from gmail to outlook.com a few years ago and I still have some accounts and emails that wind up going to my old gmail address. That airline that I flew on 5 years ago and now I have another flight... oh yeah, that’s still attached to my old gmail address. The urgent care clinic that I took my daughter to when she got sick as a kid... They still have my old gmail address. It just seems like every time you think you got everything moved over there’s something else that hasn’t been changed yet.

One thing I will say is that gmail has an option to forward all your emails to another address. I enabled this so that any email that was sent to gmail would automatically appear in my new mailbox. However, this is a blessing and a curse. It’s a blessing because it means that you won’t miss any important emails that you might have forgotten to move over, but it’s also a curse because it makes it less obvious which emails and accounts haven’t been moved over yet and since you’re still getting all your emails in one mailbox it’s easy to just rely on the forwarding and not make the changes.

I still log into my gmail account periodically just to scan through it and see if there’s anything important that I forgot to transfer over.

Reactions: conleyca and Ron21

X5-452

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
Changing email addresses sucks. Make sure that whatever you change to is an address that you are happy with and will want to keep for years. There is *so* much tied to your email address and getting everything changed will probably take months. Or even years.

I changed from gmail to outlook.com a few years ago and I still have some accounts and emails that wind up going to my old gmail address. That airline that I flew on 5 years ago and now I have another flight... oh yeah, that’s still attached to my old gmail address. The urgent care clinic that I took my daughter to when she got sick as a kid... They still have my old gmail address. It just seems like every time you think you got everything moved over there’s something else that hasn’t been changed yet.

One thing I will say is that gmail has an option to forward all your emails to another address. I enabled this so that any email that was sent to gmail would automatically appear in my new mailbox. However, this is a blessing and a curse. It’s a blessing because it means that you won’t miss any important emails that you might have forgotten to move over, but it’s also a curse because it makes it less obvious which emails and accounts haven’t been moved over yet and since you’re still getting all your emails in one mailbox it’s easy to just rely on the forwarding and not make the changes.

I still log into my gmail account periodically just to scan through it and see if there’s anything important that I forgot to transfer over.

When dealing with Gmail forwarding... does it come as a regular forward from your Gmail email address? Or does it do “smart” forwarding? Even though the sender sent it to Gmail, when it shows up in your new inbox is still looks like it’s from them and when you reply you reply back to them not your Gmail account?

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
When dealing with Gmail forwarding... does it come as a regular forward from your Gmail email address? Or does it do “smart” forwarding? Even though the sender sent it to Gmail, when it shows up in your new inbox is still looks like it’s from them and when you reply you reply back to them not your Gmail account?

It just looks like it was sent from the original address and hitting reply will send a message to the original sender. It’s been years since I set this up, so gmail might have called it something else... maybe redirect instead of forward.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
You really don't have to switch everything over. I have several email addresses. One I use for friends and merchants I "trust" and use a lot. I have another that I use for other business that i was forced to give email address to and similar things. I don't always check all all the time. Use the iCloud with push for the important stuff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.