Want to partition external HD: 1/2 Time Machine - 1/2 bootable backup disk

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by California, Jan 4, 2008.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

I want to partition my 200gb Maxtor firewire/usb drive so half of it is for Time Machine and the other partition is a bootable hard drive disk copy. This should be possible because my internal hard drive on my PC G4 1.5ghz Mac Mini is only 100gbs.

Do I just partition the drive through disk utility and then assign the partitions as I please? Is there any Leopard hang up with doing this?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

You got it. Just make sure that the disk partition scheme is GUID, and the partitions are formated HFS+. Label them so it's obvious what you want to do with them (not Partition 1, Partition 2)!

Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! are best (as far as forum member experience and support) for the bootable clone. Both are pretty much bulletproof.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you need nondestructive partitioning, you'll find this handy.

4. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

GUID is for Intel Macs... this is a PPC G4 1.5ghz Mac Mini

Is it still possible to format a carbon copy clone of the hard drive in one partition as a start up disk for a PowerPC Mac...

and a Time Machine back up on the other?

EDIT: Well I made it work the way I usually do with a disc utility copy. Made three partitions in a 200gb hard drive. One for Time Machine for a 100gb drive in my Powerbook, one partition for my disc utility copy of my now sold mac mini hard drive (bootable) and a 10 gig partition for a Leopard install copy disc. Works great in a firewire enclosure. Sometimes I want to boot into my old mini hard drive and it is easy as pie.